New
Find
Notify
Tools

cracked stock shipped in gun kit
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i purchased a very expensive gun kit. its for a long stock flintock, high grade dealer. it was over 900 dollars for the kit. the stock has three cracks that raise when wet about 5/16 inch deep, some of them surfacing at an angle that could chip.. they are thin cracks unless wet. the wood is highley figured in the butt area,(the cracks are exposed on the end of the butt. this was a 100 dollar upgrade.. im guessing the barrel and lock is in the 3-400 dollar range that the stock is a considerable amount of the cost of the gun.. i am told by the seller that highy figured stocks commonly have cracks in them and they should be filled with dark woodfiller.. i was a cabinet maker for 23 years and wood worker for additional 15 years. i feel that this is poor quality and would have made a shorter stock out of this piece of wood.. some feel that this is a kit and its my responsibility to fix such problems.. others feel that this is a nono, so aim looking for a larger field of comments.. thanks dave.

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RayGunter
posted Hide Post
I dont think that a $900 kit should have to be "fixed" to be workable. After all thats why it was $900. You buy "fixing" kits for 99.99

Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 117 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it would help if you could post a picture of the cracks. DIfferent people get concerned with differing indications, so it is somewhat subjective. If you are looking for further input, pictures of the indications would help others give you their opinion.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RayGunter:
I dont think that a $900 kit should have to be "fixed" to be workable. After all thats why it was $900. You buy "fixing" kits for 99.99

Ray definately has a point, but if you are "stuck" with it, the cracks can be repaired quite easily with CA. (AKA Crazy Glue)

Go to a good "hobby" store and buy 1 bottle of "thin" and 1 bottle of "medium" Ca adhesive.

Apply the thin allong the crack followed imediately with the medium, making sure to get both full penetration and filling of the crack.

Do this before final shaping and sanding so that the excess CA can be removed from the surface. It will not penetrate the wood more than a few thousandths and therefore it will not affect the finish if you allow what little does penetrate to be removed with the final shaping and sanding. You will be hard pressed to find the cracks after finishing.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, before you do anything, decide what course of action you want to pursue. Once you have begun to try to fix something the seller has a better position that you accepted his product. I had this happen to me many years ago. The item was returnable but only if it was in the condition as received
If you want to return the kit contact the seller and try to get things resolved. Keep notes of dates/discussion/individual.
If you used a credit card for the purchase you may have some leverage through the credit card issuer.
Just a couple of thoughts.
Good luck

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote