Find
Notify
Tools

Who made this?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
This bolt was on a XP100 action used for a bench rest rifle. Anyone know what company made it.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be a Burns.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the bolt handle brazed on and coming away? It looks like that in the piture.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think it is coming loose. Pretty thick silver solder.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The handle is solid as a rock. Just want to change the bolt out.

Butch never heard of Burns. Are they still in business?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think so. I believe they made BR bolts on the 60s and 70s.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I do like that huge extractor but I do not care for the coned bolt head. I see no advantage to it.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
That may be a Pacific Tool and Gauge "Precision Replacement Bolt". They offer a cone bolt nose as an option.

A cone bolt nose is required for use with a coned breech. Some benchrest shooters use a coned breech for better feeding. Others like a coned breech for super smooth feeding in rapid fire events. 1903 Service rifles and original Winchester model 70 rifles were built with coned breeches.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Supposed to aide in feeding.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think PT&G offer a bolt with the style of extractor shown. The holes for gas to escape are not PT&G.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One o the guys on the Benchrest.Com forum said it looked like a Time Precision bolt.

posted Hide Post
My Time precision doesn't have a Rem700 handle on it. Bolt shroud is a bit different as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can put any kind of handle or shroud on them. I use to take my shrouds and machine flats on them, just to be different. I think Remington bolt handles are ugly. If that were mine I would replace the handle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brackney??? Mark Penrod????

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
My customer is buying a Rem M7 bolt from PTG. He want to sell this bolt body. I'll put it in the classifieds.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

posted Hide Post
I understand that Butch, but do you know of anyone that would take a Time and put a Remington handle on it? I'm sure it could happen, just like someone could take their Porche 911 and transplant a Fort Pinto motor into it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree.