New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebore 35 Whelen to 9.3x64?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Could someone tell me if a 35 Whelen Remington Classic barrel could be rebored to 9.3 Caliber. Is there enough difference in size to do this? Would there be enough metal left for safety? I'm asking because my 35 Whelen barrel came through with a very fine sort of skip line pattern in the lands sort of like a file. It copper fouls like you wouldn't believe but shoots pretty good otherwise. Is a rebored barrel's bore as good dimensionally and finish wise as a new quality barrel ? Should i just rebarrel?

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not had one rebored, but i can tell you what the consensus will be: Unless it is a unique barrel (i.e. octagon) or there is some other good reason to not change it, then you will be better off rebarreling by the time all the $$$ is payed out.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would just sell the rifle as it is. It's worth more to some guy off the street with a "factory" barrel on it.

Another thing is that the Remington design is not all that desirable as a heavy medium what with the so so safety, lack of CRF and little stamping for an extractor.

It seems like the chamber would clean up. Go ahead of you enjoy the process.

Since I thought of the bore clean up before I read Customstocks comment I would say that it might not clean up and I would not like to be on the lathe feeding the drill.

Like I said. I would take it for a walk down gunshow lane, like Ray says, and buy a new gun.

You don't need it anyway. You have some new mediums in the works that will be much better guns.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is not enough meat on the barrel to do a rebore from.35 to .362

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.358 to .366 nope can't do it! Why would you want to? The 35 Whelen and the 9.3 are very close in performance, and ammo is cheaper ,and easier to get for the Whelen!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote