New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine Feeding 308 based Ackleys?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How do the 308 based Ackleys , eg 243, 260 708 - 40 degree Ackley with minimal body taper feed from an un modified Remington 700 action?
Also how do they do out of the various DBM setups with AI type magazines?

Posts: 45 | Location: Sydney,Australia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the time there are very few issues, some with none and some with a little tweaking needed, but like with everything there is the problem child. Having a supply of boxes, springs, and followers to play with combinations helps.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The normal AI feeding issue comes from the reduced body taper and square shoulder. A 308 case already has minimal taper before you turn it into an AI.

Most issue from an AI come from taking a taper case and like in the case of an 06 expand the shoulder from .441 to .454. In a 308 the parent and AI are both .454 you only change the shoulder angle which will not normally effect how the rails in a mag hold the case.

Never had an issue with feeding in one. But a 308 based case would be the last I would spend the time and $ turning into an AI.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I bought dies for my 7-08AI, they resized cases to .454 at the shoulder. When I originally asked Ed Shilen to chamber my new barrel to 7mm SGLC, it came back marked 7mm-08AI on the barrel, but was .461 at the shoulder. Redding told me to send them three fireformed cases and my Redding Dies, and they would redo them for .461 at no cost. Anyway, it feeds fine from a Sako action.
Sam Taylor

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I originally asked Ed Shilen to chamber my new barrel to 7mm SGLC, it came back marked 7mm-08AI on the barrel,

I believe the Simpson GLC has a shoulder of .465. http://www.loaddata.com/member....cfm?MetallicID=3158
Then again I have been wrong before.

I use a .473 head and .46 shoulder on my PDK wildcats. I thought I was running a low taper.

Since Simpson put his name on it he can set the dimensions to what he wants.

The AI I believe is .454 the SGLC larger. Seems like Shilen chambered for the SGLC but for some reason marked it AI. Nice of Redding to correct something that wasn't their error.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I know is that it is a sexy looking thing with the .461 shoulder. As long as I don't have trouble feeding, it's all good.
Sam

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies
My reamer measures 459 at the shoulder

Posts: 45 | Location: Sydney,Australia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote