New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brushed finish on stainless steel
 Login/Join

<k wood>
posted
Does anyone know a good way to do a brushed finish on stainless steel barells?

<Rust>
posted
Go to the hardware store and get a fine Scotch-brite wheel for either a drill or bench grinder, it's what Savage uses for their barrels. It has the benefit of being easy to touch up, something that can not be said of a bead blast finish.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best way I have found is to simply smear the barrel with JB compound then brush it lightly with a wire wheel. For a little coarser finish a 600 grit lapping compound works well. The bead blast finish is easily touched up if you have a blaster of course. The wire wheel and compound over a sandblast finish works real well too. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3767 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<k wood>
posted
I have a bead blaster and was looking for something different. I don't want the dull grey that the bead blaster leaves on this barell. I was wondering about scotchbrite, I might try that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a very neat finish on s.s. barrels done by Truman Wilson, a 'smith in Colorado. It is a pattern of scratches that isn't bright, isn't dull, just looks "interesting"? I've been told it is done with an "orbital" sander, barrel in the lathe. I've tried several methods but cannot get anything nearly as neat. He may share the techinque but I will not ask him.

Jay

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
The finish by Truman Wilson that Jay is referring to is called the whirly-gig finish. It looks pretty good and is supposed to hide any scratches you might pick up. I've seen Truman's work and will recommend him. He is a straight shooter with plenty of experience. sure-shot