New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre 64 winchester stocks and refinishing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will a pre64 type, new, barreled action off a current 375H&H safari express rifle fit/drop in, a older pre64 original about 1959 375H&H stock without the clover leaf action?Does anyone make new stocks that look like the old original ones that cant be told apart sorta like a counterfit?Is the old varnish something special to duplicate or something?I was wondering if a old pre64 stock was refinished what kind of varnish would match the old factory stuff?Can winchester varnish be bought anywhere?Alot of the original finishs look sorta redder/darker to me than the lighter blond refinished stocks.Is there a way to tell by looking at the checkering or something to determine if a stock has been refinished?If a stock was refinished but only had small scratches to begin with and was sanded out smooth and like new again,does this ruin the value and is it easly to tell on a real good refinsh job?Can the old checkering be redone to look like new again and will this hurt value if done by expert?Who can work on the old winchesters and bring them back to new again?I was told years ago that the factorys dont spend a lot of time on finshing rifle stocks and that most walnut stocks can be made even nicer with a little extra work.Is this true or a old hunters campfire tale?

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding your questions on restoration, you might want to check out www.winrest.com. Some good info there as well staining, finishing and rust blueing products.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do anything to that 375 stock you will ruin its value for resale. Even a stock in 90-95%condition will fetch a decent price that can go back into the purchase of a fiberglass or new wooden stock. No a Classic action can not fit into a pre-64 model 70 375 H&H stock. If you have a pre-64 375 H&H stock I would be interested in buying it from you as Mine was broken by UPS during shipping.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ib404 i dont have a stock but see them from time to time,I like the older type stocks better than the new ones.just wondered if they would swap?Thanks craigster for the restore site,That was what i have been looking for!GREAT!!! beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ib404,i think i saw one last week on e-bay,good luck with the search,whats up with ups breaking all the gun stocks?I have heard alot of that,do they just throw everything down on the ground or something?Allso do a goggle search under winchester parts!!! thumb

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
To echo Ib404, any refinishing, recut checkering, etc. will hurt the value on an original stock. Some people can touch them up quite well without it being noticeable and not being a total refinish. Maybe cleaing dirt and grit out and pointing up the checkering a bit or polishing the wood, and that won't really hurt the value because it isn't detectable and it does improve the condition. But any sanding, etc. will hurt it. Winrest does good work but in my opinion they do not duplicate the finish on an old model 70 or a lot of other Winchesters for that matter. Winrest does the classic rubbed out oil finish, which is beautiful. Winchester was a factory, and they did not pay stockmakers to oil finish each individual stock. Winchester sanded their stocks to around 240 grit, filled pores, stained, and used a couple coates of a spray-on type laquer or varnish. And they did these by the hundreds at a time. Early stocks had a bit more carnuba so they had a softer feel. The finish ingredient was changed some over the years, especially during and after the war. There's nothing really special about the finish Winchester used. But what everyone is trying to duplicate with the Winchester finish is 50, 60, or 70 years of use and handling! That cannot be reproduced and that is why the old stocks look so warm. I have the name of a guy in TN that does a really good old Winchester factory finish, best I've seen. It's basically a tru-oil type with the pores not totally filled. Send me a pm or something and I will track down his number.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks prewar,I have a refinished stock all ready that is nice as can be,the color just isnt right and it doesnt have that broke in original finish patina to it,If i can hunt with her for a few years it will have the look it is missing now,sorta like putting a brand new hood on a old worn out car.The stock looks good it just doesnt look 55yrs.old.I guess it looks to good!The first thing everyone says when they see it is the stocks been refinished,second thing they say is it was a good job.I think if the varnish had more red in it ,it would look more original?For a hunting rifle it will be fine and is about as close as one could get i guess.Its hard to duplicate time & battle scars.Reminds me of going to work digging ditches in a brand new pair of boots!Everybody notices them for about a day or two till they get muddy!Thanks for the help guys!!! beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you think UPS is bad try FEDEX, I recently sent a rifle to "Brockmans for some feeding work. The rifle was in a padded shipping case and was checked by the agent before shipping. It arrived in two pieces. After thoroughly exploring every option including having an indipendent adjuster evaluate the case and damage, FEDEX rejected the claim. That they were not at fault. How can this be??

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote