Find
Notify
Tools

Redfield rings & leupold base
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted
Would anyone tell me if the redfield rings should perfectly match with a leupold base?

I was told Redfield & Leupold were both made at the same factory with the same quality tolerance levels as the leupold itself... is it so?

I have to buy some rings through Internet (a matter of distance makes this the only option to me) and found Redfield to be half the price of Leupolds.... the vendor says they are just the same from every quality point of view, being price the only difference.... is it so?

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've used them together.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess the quality and finish depend on how old the rings are.
Redfield manufactured the dovetail mounted rings decades before Leupold. There are several configurations of the Redfield around some are nice and some are pretty ordinary. The bluing on Redfield rings and bases always looked better than Leupold does to me.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used redfield in leupold, burris in leupold, and burris in redfield, no problems.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Afrikaander:
...the vendor says they are just the same from every quality point of view, ... is it so?
If you are thinking about using the "Redfield Style" Rings or Bases where the Rear Ring and Base have the Lateral Adjustment Screws - you need to be aware that only the Front Ring in the Dovetail is holding the Scope in place. On a rifle with noticable recoil, this can cause the Scope to slip through the Front Ring and the Rear Ring to tear through the Lateral Adjustment screws.

If you are taking about Dual Dovetail or Weaver Style Designs made by Redfield and Leupold, they should work together, but the "Finish" might not match exactly. Either of these Designs is functionally superior to the old Redfield Design.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
...Either of these Designs is functionally superior to the old Redfield Design.

While I might agree the dual dovetail arrangement is stronger, it requires a more precise alignment of the receiver mounting holes to avoid possible scope damage. As long as the receiver is drilled and tapped properly it works fine. Many aren't.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Glen, Completely agree. That is why I prefer the Burris Signature Rings in either the Weaver or Dual Dovetail style.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote