THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mauser feeding extractor - NOBODY KNOWS????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a mauser, it's a golden state on a spanish commercial action, rechambered from 30-06 to 300 win mag. pawn shop advised it had feeding/extraction issues, from the extractor.

I bought a brownells pre-cut extractor and kuhnhausen's manual. I have shaped the extractor to move about 0.008 when holding a cartridge, and the extractor holds it there nicely. when feeding with no extractor, it works just fine. with extractor, however, the rim rises to the bottom of the extractor, but stops there. it will not slip under.

the distance between the rear of the claw and the boltface is the thickness of the rim. I can only assume that is not correct, otherwise, the rim could only slip under of the cartridge was always parellel to the bolt axis. which is not the case when feeding from a mag.

how much clearance is there supposed to be between the boltface and the claw? kuhnhausen is disappointingly quiet on the matter. I have modded the claw to look just like the pic in the book, and it will snap over a rim of a chambered cartridge, and the rim slides halfway up the boltface before the extractor stops it, so I have done what little kuhnhausen said to do.

if you all could help me out that would be great. thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bottom of the extractor hook needs to be beveled forwards a little. If yours has just a little bevel maybe it needs a little more. Bill

Posts: 111 | Location: Downs, Kansas | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, I will try that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ETA: does nobody know what the measurement is?

thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also, keep in mind the precise fit of the magazine follower is critical to positioning the rim into the extractor/bolt face gap. The 300 Win mag case is much larger in dia than the 30-06 and may not work with the 06 follower. You might try an 06 ctg (dummy round of course) and see if it feeds. If so then the follower and fat magnum case may be the problem and not the extractor. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
can't spring strength affect this as well? I have a problem similar in my mod 70, I never did get around to working it out, but it is something in the follower/spring setup I believe.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red...I've wondered about the effect of spring tension myself. I have a MRC 1999 in 308 Win. with a very wimpy (comparred to a 98 mil Mauser) magazine spring. But, the CRF feeding of the MRC is flawless, even with the seemingly weak spring so I quit worrying about it.

I recently read a Mauser history article that went into detail on the design of the Mod 98 cartridge follower. I had no idea it was such a complex problem to solve and how carefully the follower is shaped specifically for the 7.9X57 military round. It might be worth checking to MAKE SURE the follower in your Mod. 70 matches the cartridge. Factories DO make mistakes and installing a wrong, but very similar, follower could happen. Good luck.

Jon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two mausers that had/have feed problems. One 300 wm made on a vz 23 action I ground the extractor the where the rim just fits and doesn't hang causing it to be forced like the 270 wby made on a standard FN action and I haven't reworked the extractor on it yet. Thinking about getting a new mag extractor from Midway.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HerrMessr would you be so kind as to measure the distance from the boltface to the rear of the claw, please? thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't get an exact measurement but it is between .055 and .060. and the case rim is .045 on one of my cases. HTH

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you, very much!!