New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best extractor for the Rem 700?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What would be the best replacement extracor for a Rem 700?

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One simple answer, don't go there!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'v used both the m-16 and sako with good results. both have pro's and con's, so up to you and your machinist which to use.

mtbullet

Posts: 12 | Location: montana | Registered: 26 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A feww thousand rounds of Remington shooting and I've never had a problem with the factory extractor.........I know......that's just boring....

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree that's there isn't much wrong with the factory extractor.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
talk to jim kobe, he does a beautiful job of fitting sako extractors into remmys. bigger unit

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EDMHUNTER:
What would be the best replacement extracor for a Rem 700?

A CZ 550 rifle - complete. Big Grin
Or a Winchester, Sako, Vanguard, etc. etc.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not necessary for almost any cartridge out there except for the 6PPC as (over)loaded by the Benchrest crowd.

No disparagement is intended, the overloading is how they get their splendid results, BUT the dimensions of the Remington bolt nose and the PPC case head are very marginal when used together. The Remington system is safe when used with the more common types of cases, but the PPC case has a smaller dimension from its powder chamber floor to the rear of its case head. This means that the thin part of the case side wall extends further to the rear than other cases and it ends up right on the edge of the gap between the chamber's rear end and the factory Remington bolt's front end. The overloaded PPC case wall will sometimes blow out through this small gap and so the Benchresters started cutting the Rem bolt noses back and using other extractor systems.

Well! As soon as the non-Benchresters heard about this new 'accuracy' practice then almost everyone jumped on the bandwagon, most without really knowing why. After all, if them there accuracy boys did it, why, it jest nacherly HADTA be better, now didn't it?(VBG)

Short answer, if not using a PPC case then why spend the money? The alteration actually makes the rifle MORE unsafe if catastrophically overloaded, because of the straighter gas path!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a thing wrong with the factory 700 extractor. Not to mention that it's the safest.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The one that came on the rifle.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was very weak and easy to break? I would buy a model 70 if they made them as light as a Ti rifle.

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long has the military used the 40x/700 platform for their sniper rifles?? Do they put in Sako or AR extractors?? I have seen the stock ones tear a chunk out of a stuck case.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Ed Brown uses an M16 type extractor in his rifles, which are similar in many other respects to the Remington 700 and its "three rings of steel." The M16 design is a much more robust and reliable design than the standard Remington.

As for whether anyone needs to do it, well, for me that would depend on how I planned to use the rifle.

If I had only ever heard of one Remington extractor breaking, that would be one too many for me to want to rely on it in a DG rifle.

P.S.: I have heard of more than one Remington extractor breaking! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
If I had only ever heard of one Remington extractor breaking, that would be one too many for me to want to rely on it in a DG rifle.

Given that criteria, based on ALL the broken extractors I've seen and replaced over the years on some of your favorite rifles, you would be left with having to use a long bow.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:

Given that criteria, based on ALL the broken extractors I've seen and replaced over the years on some of your favorite rifles, you would be left with having to use a long bow.

Hah!

Read my P.S.! Big Grin

But seriously, given your experience, how do you rate the various designs for strength and reliability?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, I have heard of Remington extractors breaking; however, I have never seen any broken Remington extractors.

The USMC has been using the remingtion 700 platform as the basis for the M40 sniper rifle for going on 40 years. They have not seen it fit to change the extractor.

I have also never heard a single LE armorer or military armorer complain about the Remington extractor.

Would love to hear from them.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not wanting a DGR or a sniper rifle I am planning on a Rem Ti build for a lightweight hunting rifle. I have read and had a problem with one of my Rem 700 extractor breaking and looking for the best way to go. What would be the problem with the M16 extractor?

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
EDM,

Two points are trying to be made here and they are irrespective of whether you want a sniper, DGR, or just plain old hunting rifle.

1) One Group of folks firmly believes that there is no problem with Remington 700 extractor

2) Another group of folks thinks it is a piece of junk.

The first group believes that the second group's opinion is more based on gossip than actually data given the actual service record of the model 700 and that any extractor can fail; therefore, switching extractors is likely to be no more reliable than the original.

If you you are more comfortable switching the extractor, I would talk to the smith building the rifle and see which he prefers to do. If I was going to switch it out, I would want my overall rifle builder to comfortable with choice of Sako vs M16 style.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Read my P.S.! Big Grin

But seriously, given your experience, how do you rate the various designs for strength and reliability?

I hear about all of the ones that fail too. But of the hundreds that have come through my shop over the years, I haven't seen that many, and of those i've seen, most were the result of handloaders who didn't know when to quit adding powder.

As far as rating the various designs, they are all pretty good as designs go. None of them are fool proof. Personally I am not big on those extractors that utilize a spring and a plunger for use on anything that can hunt you. In the heat of battle, too much can go wrong and they can, and do, jam.

My criteria for the best extractor system is a little different from most. First, I look at which one actually provides the best support of the case head while providing a larger gripping surface of the rim, and second, which one, in a sheer panic, will allow me to retrieve a loose round from the ground, and throw it directly into the chamber without worrying about it hanging up or the bolt not closing.. That's what I look for.

As for the M-16 style, it is a battle proven design and is readily adapted to the Remington bolt. It does however break the 3 rings of steel concept which is a pretty good safety concept.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to worry about something on your Remington 700 breaking - worry about the bolt handle coming off when you hammer on the bolt to try and get a stuck one out-I have had ONE extractor break on me- It broke on the first round through the gun 7Rem mag- Broke at the rivet hole They have gone to a rivet less style now. I love the 700- I own a closet full of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have NEVER seen a M-700 exractor break. But I have seen and had the M-700 leave fired cases in the chamber, on more than one ocassion. It would simply tear a SMALL portion of the rim off (Remington brass). And 57 grains of
H-4350 in NOT to hot in any of my other 270 Win. rifles.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the mini 16 extractor we designed for Jerry Stiller . They are safe and work great. I will machine and grind a remington bolt any size you would like with a mini 16, remington or sako extractor cut for 106 bucks. I plan on a sale on some shelf stock bolts friday . Look on the Pacific Tool and Gauge web site under specials. There will be some killer prices. Thanks Dave

Posts: 26 | Location: eagle point  | Registered: 17 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a broken Rem 700 extractor.
And I have some Remingtons made back to 1949, a 722 that uses the same extractor.
I have seven 722's and a half dozen 700's with no failures that I'm aware of (The 722's were bought used, and I don't know about their repair history, if any).
If it ain't broke, I don't fix it.

One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
STILLERS M-16 STYLE made by ptg as from the above post by reamer. They are the best I have installed. If remington had a better ejector, like a mauser, and welded or one piece bolt handle, then I would have no problem hunting any dangerous game with a Rem style action with a M-16 style extractor. I can say anytime I broke handles off a remington, it was my fault by loading to the max. If you use standard loads, your chamber is polished properly, you should never have a broken extractor or bolt handle on a rem.

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've yet to break an extractor on a 721,722,Seven,600 or 700...though I've tried to with over 500lbs of Re-15 alone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1909 Argentine Mauser with a broken extractor. I guess that leaves out Mauser 98 types also.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
OMG!...it can't be true...the big manly claw extractor...so superior and invicible...broke

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had more F/F woes via CRF than PF or the CRPF Winny bastardization.

But of course I'm often justly "accused" of being coordinated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting Remington 700's and "around" people shootig Rem 700's for over 35 years.

And I am talking about high volume shooters, rifle match shooters and Police Snipers.

I have seen only 2 broken extractors.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does the M16 style do to the gas in case of a failure?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flies like a Sako.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
What does the M16 style do to the gas in case of a failure?

It would provide an escape path for the gas right down the side of the bolt. Depending on how severe the failure, the M16 style extractor would be less prone to go flying than the Sako because it is actually pinned to the bolt, where the Sako merely floats and is held in by spring tension. I wouldn't want either present in the event of a catastrophic failure. Of course you avoid those types of events by paying attention to what you are doing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac you are correct . Great post. Thanks Dave

Posts: 26 | Location: eagle point  | Registered: 17 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would buy a model 70 if they made them as light as a Ti rifle.
You could buy the M70 and send it to "Rifles Inc." (I might foul-up the spellin' of his name), Lex Weiberneck(SP?) and he can reduce the weight of it to about anywhere you want. As a side BONUS, it also reduces the weight of your billfold.

However, I prefer Remington rifles just as they are, without changing the Extractor, nor replacing an excellent factory Trigger.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
However, I prefer Remington rifles just as they are.

Provided the stock isn't "termite food". Big Grin Semper fi!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go NULA long before allowing Lex to hack on anything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

clap

The three Rem CDL stocks I have a nice looking, and well fitting stocks.
My seven Rem 722's have stocks made from Early American Fence Post wood..

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

tu2 Oooh Raah!!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote