THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Difference in muzzle flash/muzzle blast between .416 Rem. and .416 Rigby if any.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difference in muzzle flash/muzzle blast between .416 Rem. and .416 Rigby if any.
 Login/Join

<leo>
posted
The Rem. with the smaller case is loaded to higher pressures and the Rigby with the larger case is loaded to lower pressures. Does anyone know if this makes a measureable or noticeable difference in muzzzle blast and flash between the two assuming same barrel lenglth? If you take a .30-06 and a .35 whelan loaded to the same pressures, same powder, same barrel lenglth and same type and S.D. bullets, will there be a percieved difference in muzzle blast and flash between the two? Or, If the '06 and Whelan use the same powder and EXACT same weight of powder with same type and S.D. bullets and same barrel lenglth, will there be a difference in percieved muzzle blast and flash between the two? Does the marketly larger and more efficient bore generally produce less noise with everything else being as equal as possible? Thanks.

<Eric>
posted
Are you shooting at night? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. By the time you recover from the recoil of either rifle the muzzle flash will have long departed.

I've fired many a rifle in my life. The only time I was ever concerned about muzzle flase was when firing an automatic rifle in the dark at someone who could shoot back.

regards, Eric

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I would think that if each case had EQUAL volumns of the SAME fuel the blast would be equal also. Interesting...

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Claw:
I would think that if each case had EQUAL volumns of the SAME fuel the blast would be equal also. Interesting...

Hell, they wouldn't even have the same velocity!

You might say, "Everything else being equal. . . ," but with two different cartridge capacities, everything else is not ALL equal, and never will be.

Not a simple question, nor is there a simple answer. You might consider "asking the question on the loading bench," and answering it on the shooting bench.

BTW, questions about .416 Rem & Rigby are NOT the same as questions about .30-06 and .35 Whelen. In one case, the caliber has changed, in the other it has not. As far as larger bore (or case??) being more "efficient," whatever YOU define that to mean, most people would define "efficient" in a way that would have the smaller case, and probably the smaller bore, more "efficient."

Sorry this wasn't an answer to your question.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote