New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Commercial Mauser Rear Sight.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the proper rear sight for a FN commercial mauser circa 1949? There is not one on the barrel nor can I see where one has been. It has weaver mounts and a scope on it for now but I can't see any obvious holes etc. There is no cut out on the stock for the slide of a peep sight? Can someone enlighten me?

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I sold a 270 win barrel that came off a 1949. It had a front sight, but just as with yours, it did not appear to have ever had a rear sight on the barrel. And, it was not originally drilled for scope mounts.

I assume yours has the stepped barrel?

If you do some searching you will find pictures of some that did have a barrel mounted rear sight. If I remember correctly, the rear sight is pretty small and classy but it does not really complement the barrel profile(IMO).

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cocking piece mounted peep sight (Rigby style), hence no barrel mounted rear sight

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JB, I have since taken my barreled action out of the stock. There are two drilled and tapped holes on the right side of the rear action bridge. Maybe for a receiver sight? cducat, The Cocking piece mounted peep sight would be the greatest if that is what the rifle came with. Any Idea where to get one? DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels:
JB, I have since taken my barreled action out of the stock. There are two drilled and tapped holes on the right side of the rear action bridge. Maybe for a receiver sight? cducat, The Cocking piece mounted peep sight would be the greatest if that is what the rifle came with. Any Idea where to get one? DW

Rusty Martin makes them ,no idea on price but he's only an email/PM away

rusty42marlin@yahoo.com

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I remember seeing these rifle with a peep sight that mounted on top of the receiver bridge in the rear scope mount base holes.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The receiver bridge side holes accomodate a Lyman 48, Lyman 57, Redfield 70 or Armstrong receiver sight. Most Belgium FN barreled actions did not have barrel mounted rear sights. Many but not all JC Higgins rifles made on FN Deluxe Mauser actions did, probably installed by High Standard.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
It may be this sight sold by Bob's Gun Parts:
http://www.gun-parts.com/mauser/

S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote