New
Find
Notify
Tools

removing nickle plating
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can nickle plating be removed from a pistol? How is it done? How hard it is to do? Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am having both nickel and chrome removed at this time. A reputable plating place[www.gleco.com] is doing the work for me.
Butch
www.shadetreeea.com

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can nickle plating be removed from a pistol? How is it done? How hard it is to do? Thanks

I would not call it a do it yourself project. If my memory can go back 30 years an acid solution and a dc power source. You basically unplate it. As butch said best way is send it to a plating service.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can do it. Check out Dunlaps "Gunsmithing", page 368. Did this a few years ago with a plated 1911, turned out great. All it takes is a glass fish bowl, battery acid, a chunk of lead a DC power source and some wire. Put the acid (1 Gal from an auto parts store) in the bowl, add a qt of distilled water (slowly!), attach the lead block to the negative of the power source and the positive to the part you want to deplate and suspend in the liquid. Just takes a few minutes, it's done when you don't see any chrome/nickle on the piece. Give it a good rinse and you're done. Be sure to wear your safety stuff, face shield, gloves etc and be careful. Works well because there's no danger in polishing off corners etc. It's pretty simple but I'd read Dunlap a couple of times before starting.
Best.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
50 cal,
It takes much more than a few minutes and for the price, I wouldn't go to the trouble to do it myself.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownells sells unplating solution (or used to, it's been a while). I used it to remove chrome plating from chokes and chambers before working on forcing cones and chokes. I used a 6v battery charger and just followed their instructions, worked great.
C.G.B.