Find
Notify
Tools

Freebore... How much is to much???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello everyone

I recently had my .378 Weatherby Magnum rebarrelled with a new Shilen barrel. I was checking the lenght of freebore in the new barrel and came up with .735" of travel before the bullet touches the landings. Is that normal?

Thanks and Happy New year.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You are slightly under 2 diameters. That's probably fine. For a maximum, I think 3 would be pushing it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It dawned on me to check the factory barrel and it had 00.4" more travel than the Shilen. I just hope it shoot as accurate as the factory barrel does. Thanks again.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lefforge:
It dawned on me to check the factory barrel and it had 00.4" more travel than the Shilen. I just hope it shoot as accurate as the factory barrel does. Thanks again.

Steve

A lot of it will depend on the diameter of the throat and how concentric and straight it is with the bore. Believe it or not, not all throats are in line with their bores. Good luck!

A word of caution: If you are handloading for this, don't start with the load that you used in the barrel that had .4 more throat than this new Shilen. Back the load off and work it up carefully.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote