New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun-Tite
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have experience with Uncle Mike’s Gun-Tite – Application use for mounting scope rings and seating scope mount screws?

Thank you,
Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This topic is always guaranteed to start a huge debate/discussion...

Next time you have some free time call Leupold’s tech department and ask them about the tests they conducted on securing scope base and ring screws...you might find it interesting and informative.

Proper torquing of these screws is paramount to consistent accuracy and stress reduction on the receiver and the scope...and the place to start (whether you use a sealer or not) is to get the threads on the screws and in the holes spotlessly cleaned and dried prior to tightening them down.

2nd is to use an inch pound torque wrench and to use a set sequence for tightening the screws down.

Dirty threads and improperly torqued screws will not be helped by LocTite, Gun-Tite...or any other kind of thread sealer.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gun Tite is just regular blue Loc-Tite, and is exactly what you should use on scope base screws.

-Spencer

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
I just seated my action in my stock using Locktite...it has made a world of difference as I don't plan on glass bedding it. The gun is actually quite a bit more consistent, which surprised me I have to say.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just seated my action in my stock using Locktite...it has made a world of difference as I don't plan on glass bedding it. The gun is actually quite a bit more consistent, which surprised me I have to say.

How did you seat the action with locktite?

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
Wrong term, sorry. I secured the bolts using Locktite. Smiler

--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
fusino,

LocTite may do a great job of keeping screws in place but in and of itself it has absolutely no effect on how your rifle shoots...and it certainly is not a replacement for epoxy bedding since it plays no role whatsoever in the action/recoil lug relationship to the stock.

The biggest problem in using loctite on rifles is that very few people bother to clean the gunk out of the holes and off the screw threads when they remove the screws for cleaning the rifle...and then they just crank the puppies right back in when they put things back together. You will NEVER get a good seat on the screws and any torque reading you take will not be accurate.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue loctite is one thing, if you used red plan on burning the stock off if you ever need to get it apart.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
^blue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand your ^blue could you explain.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
You said if you used blue locktite...I used blue. Smiler