Notify
Tools

6mm PPC or 6mm BR?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted

Question:
Which one would be your choice in a Mini MKX?

Choices:
6mm PPC
6mm BR

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the bolt face now... 7.62x39 or the .473 of the .308 family.. I'm not familiar with the action. And what is the rifle for, shooting varmints ???

I have both, for benchrest competition it's the ppc all the way. For varmints it would be hard to beat the BR and it's damn accurate !!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought the last 22-250 action that Davidson's had in stock. It was overnighted and should be here tomorrow afternoon. I will be able to answer the bolt face question directly.

My intent is to go with 6BR. With the Norma chamber, you have a lot more options for the rifle, even a light deer rifle. I don't think the longer throat will hurt the accuracy of a light varmint rifle enough to matter.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a slightly blown out version of the 6BR called the 6mm Dasher. Rumor has it that Lapua will be making brass in 2006. It is the 6BR with the shoulder mover forward ~ .010" - .015". Just true up a Rem 700 in 22-250 and rebarrel, or get a Savage.

I have two 6PPC's and love them both. They have their limitations. 300 meters is the realistic effective range. It really shines with a 1:12 twist and 55 or 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for varmints.

It is relatively easy to get a Remington .223 bolt face opened up to PPC specs. Give Mike Bryant a call. He is a wizard in that arena.

Regardless of you decision, there is no decision about the brass - LAPUA!

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
What is Mike Bryant's phone number? When you open up a Remington bolt face from .223 to 6mmPPC, what do you do for an extractor?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You use a Sako extractor or a M-16. Mike can be reached at http://www.bryantcustom.com A 22-250 has a 308 bolt face. My MiniMk10 came as a 7.62X39, so it had the PPC bolt face, but I chose to chamber it in 270X39. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug, I just made the vote even. But that is because you would not let me vote for a 20 BR. 6 of us are building rifles in that caliber this fall. 40 grain bullet at 4400 fps, look out sage rats, devastation on it's way.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a note, but Midway has a bunch (13 or 14) Adams & Bennet barrels for mini listed as coming soon. One of them is the 22/250 and another the 22 BR. Why this and no 6 BR I don't know, but they may make them available in the future. Having them threaded, contoured and short chambered makes fitting awfully easy.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 6PPC family because I did something uncharacteristically smart (better lucky than good) in the 1980's. I picked up two Sakos in 6mm PPC. Nyut, nyu, nyu.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to use the lighter bullets up to 70 gr. 1/14 twist in 6ppc would be the way to go.You can use a 22" barrel .If I wanted to use 80-105 I would use a 6 B.R. with a longer barrel.In both cases I would not use factory std dimensions for reamers.Lapua brass for both and lightly turn the necks. Accuracy is interesting and these two just shoot well.I watched a friend shoot a 6 PPC in a rechambered Rem heavy barrel with 107 Sierra and knock over 5 rams in a row one day .M.V.2650 fps.He made it look easy.
Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just finished up a Win 70 that was a 223 Rem and is now a 6MM PPC. Too much fun!! Shoots like there is no tomorrow. This isn`t a bull barrel rig but a "walk-about" lightweight type. Featherweight stock and all! The brass from Graf&Sons is fairly inexpensive and works just fine. This could end up being my next Blacktail gun due to its accuracy etc.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I picked up the Mini Mk X yesterday. Great service through Davidsons locator service. Ordered on Thursday, picked up Friday afternoon. Good price and choice of three dealers.

The action looks identical to the old Mini Mk X. Only difference is the Interarms was available as a polished and blued action. CD is in the white only.

The bad news is the action setup. The bolt face is .475 measured. However, the magazine is the shorter one advertised (2.26 vs 2.37.) Not a big deal, but important if you happen to want to load 107's. However, the follower and rails will simply not work with 6BR or 22-250. I have two old followers that Interarms gave me after they had stopped making the old Mk X, and they are identical to the one in the action I bought. Obviously a 223 follower. When you load the magazine, the cartridges are pinched in the middle and droop at the back so much that the bolt won't pick up the rounds. It's pretty obvious this is simply a 223 action with a .473 bolt face. The box, serial number etc are consistent, and it is labeled as a 22-250 action. The bolt face actually looks like it was modified separately after manufacture. (Machining marks don't match the rest. Look to have been done by hand on a lathe instead of as cast or machine processed.

My guess? These have always been hard to find. They likely overbuilt the 223's and decided to open the bolt face on some of these to fill up the pipeline.

I have emailed CD to request a return so they can correct. I'll keep you posted as to what I find out and how this plays out. I don't mind having this one modified (may be better if a shop actually tunes it up). I just don't want to buy a 22-250 action and have to work on or pay for modifications to make it do what it should do from the factory.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:I have two 6PPC's and love them both. They have their limitations. 300 meters is the realistic effective range.lawndart

Lawndart

What exactly do you mean by "limitations"? If you mean accuracy, the 6PPC has been used in many 600 yard benchrest and F Class matches over the past two years, with super results. At the very first 600 yard NBRSA Nationals it set the 10-shot small group world record of 3.3 inches. If you mean velocity, consider this. A 60 grain Berger MEF bullet fired at a mv of 3550 fps will have a remaining velocity of 2069 fps at 500 yards. Most prairie dogs would consider that to be adequate.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bad news is the action setup. The bolt face is .475 measured. However, the magazine is the shorter one advertised (2.26 vs 2.37.) Not a big deal, but important if you happen to want to load 107's. However, the follower and rails will simply not work with 6BR or 22-250. I have two old followers that Interarms gave me after they had stopped making the old Mk X, and they are identical to the one in the action I bought. Obviously a 223 follower. When you load the magazine, the cartridges are pinched in the middle and droop at the back so much that the bolt won't pick up the rounds. It's pretty obvious this is simply a 223 action with a .473 bolt face. The box, serial number etc are consistent, and it is labeled as a 22-250 action. The bolt face actually looks like it was modified separately after manufacture. (Machining marks don't match the rest. Look to have been done by hand on a lathe instead of as cast or machine processed.

My guess? These have always been hard to find. They likely overbuilt the 223's and decided to open the bolt face on some of these to fill up the pipeline.

A Sako Vixin action is looking better all the time! If one can be found.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This won't hep much but the old Weatherby Varmintmaster 22/250 action will feed ppc and br. I shot a couple of the first Sako ss 6ppc and they shot very well but always wondered about the lug size- seemed small.I would not load it with br data even with the long throat.

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lawndart

What exactly do you mean by "limitations"? If you mean accuracy, the 6PPC has been used in many 600 yard benchrest and F Class matches over the past two years, with super results. At the very first 600 yard NBRSA Nationals it set the 10-shot small group world record of 3.3 inches. If you mean velocity, consider this. A 60 grain Berger MEF bullet fired at a mv of 3550 fps will have a remaining velocity of 2069 fps at 500 yards. Most prairie dogs would consider that to be adequate.

Ray

The factory twist rate is designed for 55 - 70 grain bullets mainly. Past three hundred yards (in my admittedly non-benchrest grade hands) the bullets start to wander in the wind. I could rebarrel to a tighter twist, but instead would just make an old 22-250 into a new 6mm BR.

lawndart

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shot a couple of the first Sako ss 6ppc and they shot very well but always wondered about the lug size- seemed small.I would not load it with br data even with the long throat.

I believe Darrel Holland makes a barrel lug for the Sakos that is pinned in place to give greater bearing surface.

lawndart

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
LD me thinks he is referring to the bolt locking lugs because the first 6mm PPCs on Sakos were on the old vixin actions with a real action lug. bewildered

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, as Rosanna Rosannadana used to say, "never mind".

I am having my Sako Vixen 6PPC single shot converted to a switch barrel rig - 22 PPC, 6PPC and 6.5 Grendel.

I will keep my eyes peeled for a Vixen action for you. I'll take the micrometer and calipers to my Vixen 6PPC repeater to get the dimensions. It may be possible to convert an older vixen from the .222/.223 class into a PPC.

The reason I have the 6PPCs is that someone broke into my father's house and stole my .222 Vixen. I replaced it with the two PPCs with the insurance money and some extras $$ of my own. Like I said before, I got lucky.

lawndart