New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I use the gun? Vote now!
 Login/Join

<Patrick_D>
posted
Last week I was offered - and bought - a BRNO in .22 hornet. Double set trigger - nice little rifle. Nothing exceptional about it, apart from the fact it's 35 years old, but has never fired a shot. [Smile] Still in grease, no signs of use, all screwheads perfect etc etc.

So what to do? This is the best example I'm ever likely to see, but I am no collector and all my guns were bought to be used. My own feeling is that it was made to be used, and it would be wrong not to do so. I won't be trying it for a few weeks as I'm waiting for a set of Forster benchrest dies to come from the States. So I thought it would be fun in the meantime to see what views others on the formus would have about it.

For those who are interested, it was 350 pounds - about 525 US dollars - which I felt was a good price for a rifle of that quality. The modern ones just are not the same.

So vote now! Should I use it?

Patrick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Patrick,

Is it a Brno Model 3? This is what was sold in India many years ago and I have seen guns which have fired over 10000 shots with no problem at all. If it is, you could use it without any trouble at all. If you'd like to, just get it checked by your gunsmith.

I had it's baby brother in 22LR and loved it. I sold it for a Walther KK which was a great mistake. The Brno was heavier, a little trickier to mount a scope on (at least in India where we don't have all that many trained gunsmiths) and I did not like the idea of pressing the trigger to release the bolt (wasn't sure how wear-proof the system was) but it was definitely more accurate than the Walther and I keep wishing that the friend who bought mine will sell it back!

Good shooting! [Smile]

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Shoot it, by all means! Life is too short to own guns that aren't used. Just my 2 cents worth.

Enjoy,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I have just the answer to your delima, my vote is that you concern yourself no more with it and simply sell it to me! [Big Grin] Seriously I suggest that you dont listen to anyone about this, follow your heart! This is the kind of decision that only you should make.. [Wink] Whatever you do definatly enjoy this fine classic.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Shoot it if you want it and sell it if you don't.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Hey, this is a shooting forum much more than a collecting forum, what do you think we are going to say? [Smile]

Sounds like a great little gun in a great little cartridge, you'll like it.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
PD--

If that's a BRNO ZKW-465 it'll have some collector value in unfired condition, but not as much as it was before the introduction of the 527 Hornet.

The ZKWs are dead soft and WILL eventually set back. The 527s are well heat-treated. I have an old ZKW that has to be rebuilt now, but with two 527s on hand I'm not in a big hurry to do it.

<Patrick_D>
posted
Jbelk,

You got it in one. A ZKW 465. It will never get a whole lot of use, but I was looking for something for my son to take out when we go foxing. I have a .222 Sako 75 which is fine, but I like to use that myself. That leaves a .243 and 6.5 which both do a great job on foxes, but really are a little too much gun for the typical ranges we will be working at. So I think the little BRNO will be just the thing for the lad, and it won't get so much use that it will sustain any real wear.

I am curious about your comments though. I have not heard anyone else describe these as soft. How many rounds did your ZKW have through it before you started to experience problems?

Patrick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Patrick_D
I would certainly check with collectors over there to find the value. If it is close to the value of a 527, in my mind, I would sell it and get the other. A friend bought one of the 527's this summer and it shoots like a dream. It is a pleasure to shoot also, with virtually no recoil.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use it the hornet is a fine round for the uses you have.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Patrick_D, use the rifle and enjoy it. I faced the dame decision with a varmint weight Sako. Well, I finally fired it and it is one of the more accurate rifles I have and is a true joy. The only other option is, as Customstox suggested, it to sell for collector value and replace it with something a bit less costly. Ed

Posts: 161 | Location: Seattle - temporarily! | Registered: 04 September 2000Reply With Quote