New
Find
Notify
Tools

NECG Front sight hood ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had NECG front and rear sights installed on my Lott but the front hood keeps on coming off after 3-4 shots.
Any suggestions?
PS: Don't tell me to leave the hood off, lol

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

That is a design feature, those Germans figured anyone who shot a Lott 4 times in a row needed to stop and really ask themselves "What the Hell am I doing". This gives one time to recollect ones thoughts while you look for the Hood. lol

HBH

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The set screw isn't really secure enough to hold it by itself. What you need is to either solder it or glue it using something like Loctite 380, atleast that's how I put them on. Maybe others have different mentods.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Just the hood or the whole banded sight?

My banded sight would pop off when shooting heavy bullets. Had to be reattached with a set screw.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just the hood. I'll give the loctite a try.
Thanks guys

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The early hoods slid on from the front and were prone to coming off (in all calibers). The later ones slide on from the rear and should tighten under recoil. Which do you have?

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black silicone adhesive, aka RTV. Found at hardware or auto parts store. The elastic properties will hold tight under recoil. The hood can be pulled off without damaging the sight. You can "roll" the adhesive off with your fingertip if it is necessary to remove the hood.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I throw the hoods away!

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1825 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KurtC:
The early hoods slid on from the front and were prone to coming off (in all calibers). The later ones slide on from the rear and should tighten under recoil. Which do you have?

The one I purchased slides on from the front and I just purchased it new this year from Brownells. Go figure.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I second Loctite 380...it will batch the blue on your rifle (if it is blue) ad will hold the hood.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Oops! My reading skillls are almoost as badd as my spellin. Big Grin

Sight hoods weren't really designed to be used while shooting; only to protect the front sight during transport. I don't even buy them, so I don't have to throw them away. Wink

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:

The one I purchased slides on from the front and I just purchased it new this year from Brownells. Go figure.

Even after the changeover, the extra low ramp was only available with the front mounted hood. You either have the extra low ramp, or they sent you old stock.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hoods will not come off with the heaviest recoil IF properly timed. The locking cylinder must engage the hood upon setting in place.....I test each hood by holding only by the hood and "shake the rifle" in an attempt to disengage...If "timed", it ain't gonna fail!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote