New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Rem to 358 Win Conversion
 Login/Join

<Slapshot>
posted
I have had a urge for a 358 Win for a while now and have discovered they are realy rare. However, rifles chambered for 35 Rem seam to be fairly common, to convert from 35 rem to 358 Win, is it a simple reamer job? I know the 358 generates considerably more pressure than the 35, are there actions that can handle a 35 that can't handle a 358? Possilities that are availabble to me are: 760 Remington, 336 Marlin.

Thanks in advance
Slapshot

<shooter 42>
posted
i converted a 760 carbine that started life as a 308 to the 358. with a low powered scope it works real well for the deer in the pa. mountains. i don't think the marlin would be a safe conversion.

<Savage 99>
posted
The .358 Winchester has always been a scarce chambering. I have been checking the gunshops since they came out and it's rare to find one. But I did see a old BLR here for $450 last year but the stock was awful.

I read that Browning is makeing a run of them again in the BLR.

I wish that Kimber would chamber their 84M for the .358

Some member here has four of them and I only have three. Being competative I am looking for another one!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Get a mauser action, and make a stalking rifle in 358... stock should cost more than the barrel...

easy, fast, and frankly THE best NA hunting round, for the recoil sensitive.

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
A Marlin 336 would not be a good candidate however there are some guys on Marlintalk that know a smith that will convert them to a 356 for $200.00. The 358 is a bit much for those actions.

I have also considered a Milsurp M48 rebbl to 358 winch.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think any of the bolt guns chamber for 35 rem would work just fine. Most of the others you might have trouble expect for the rem 760's savage 99 ect. The marlins and older rem pumps would be to weak. I think it would just be easier to find one.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
any action, other than a bolt gun, from 35 rem to 358 is a nightmare. If you understand feeding and pressure, at all, it's not even worth looking at.

if you want a lever gun, get a 99 or blr.... it's the same price of a used 35rem and then the gunsmithing.. and you can shoot it the next day...

bolt gun.. anything that will take a 308 based round is a breeze.

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington 600 .35 Rem to .358 would be dead simple and make a fine rifle. I attribute it to Remington's general stupidity that they were not made that way to start.

You can pretty much trust Remington to start with a fine idea and screw it up.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I did that exact conversion on a Model 7 from the custom shop.My smith ran a reamer in it.It just beat the hell out of me.I also had a .35-284 made on a Sako action.That also worked out pretty well
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

<Slapshot>
posted
I've got a line on a REm 760 pump gun in 35Rem and was just wondering if the action could handle it. They want $469 Canadian ( [Smile] about $1.95 US for our friend south of the 49th). Would the magazine have to be changed. Was the 760 or 7600 ever offered in 358 Win?

Slapshot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good idea to me, same guns runs 308 pressures with no problems, same as the 99 Sav, they handle 308 pres, & if your lucky there are a few around in 358.

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of .35 Rem to .358 Win (760 Rem)conversions out there. Apparently you have to be careful about the quality of the work the gunsmith does. Some were pretty rough jobs.

I talked to a local gun shop, and he expects that the new BLR's in .358 will go somewhere in the $875 (CDN) range.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 35 Remington is loaded by the factory to use in autolaoders. The actual velocity of the 200 gr factory load is 1893 fps in my 760. If you load the 35 remington with 39 or 40 gr of 3031 behind the 200 gr bullet you will get between 2300, and 2400 fps.
This calculates out to a chamber pressure below 45,000 psi. and probably would be ok for a Marlin. Check the specs for a 358 and think of what is involved in converting to it.
Good luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote