Find
Notify
Tools

Need help/advice with extending chamber throat
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
My newly chambered 375 Whelen Improved seems to have too short of a throat. I loaded some dummy rounds using Nosler 260 grain partitions and when I chambered the rounds the bullets got stuck on the lands. How hard is it to cut a longer throat? How much longer should I make it? Advice on reamers? Thanks.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My newly chambered 375 Whelen Improved seems to have too short of a throat. I loaded some dummy rounds using Nosler 260 grain partitions and when I chambered the rounds the bullets got stuck on the lands. How hard is it to cut a longer throat? How much longer should I make it? Advice on reamers? Thanks.

Do you have room in your magazine witht the dummies loaded? If not throating will only help if you shoot single shot.

With an overall length gage and a comparator establish OAL to bullet ogive.

Keeping limits of your magazine in mind calculate preferred OAL to ogive of your desired bullet.

Buy, borrow, or rent a piloted throating reamer. Put a stop collar at desired OAL. Carefully rethroat.

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I use a throating reamer for my .375 H&H and built an extension and stop collar onto it.

I hand load the round I wish to use.....in my case the old steel lined 300 grain solids from Hornady that I still have a ton of.....and throat the lands until the rounds have about .03 of clearance. I do this with the barrel in the lathe.

If you want to send me your barrel and a loaded case with no primer and no powder I'll throat it for you and return the barrel

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote