THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    1903 bolt stop magazine cut off, lets see some ideas

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1903 bolt stop magazine cut off, lets see some ideas
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I would like to see some examples of what to do with a 1903 Springfield bolt stop magazine cut off. I saw a post on this some years ago and I'd like to revisit the topic.
Can you guys show off some old and new custom ideas for the switch on the side?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks Michael I always love your rifles and photos, do you have any others?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
If you wanna see a nice one look for one done by Tom Burgess. Ask Dago Red if he'll post pics of the sweet 1903 Tom did for him.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks Idared for the picture, very unique and simple I like it.
Thanks Mike I PM'ed Dago Red to see if he would post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Thanks Michael I always love your rifles and photos, do you have any others?

Sorry that's not mine the only picture I have of one, this is a Hoffman if I remember No. 17 stocked by James V. Howe. It's spring loaded and you just press down to release the bolt.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You mean this one? Big Grin I sized it smaller to not overload the screen. Tom did some fancy math stuff (ogive something or other) to figure the shape for the boss. Anybody here know that he had worked designing rockets at one point? then he made a new switch/lever, whatever you call the actual part that moves. and new pin for it.

There are some more pics here, last 15 or so on the page

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Note the resemblence to a boattail bullet?

Sweet dude!

That's a keeper for sure!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Yes it looks like a Sierra Boat Tail bullet to me very nice!
Thanks guys.

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
My version of the Linden treatment. Back burner project, it will get a square bridge then ground. The lines will be slightly more defined.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I just noticed.. that's a laminated stock?

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Heh Heh...

Would this be too over-the-top?

Color case....as is the safety. Owen and Kornbrath.

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just noticed.. that's a laminated stock?

Yes, that's one of the styles Reinhart Fajen sold when they were still in business. They actually were fairly attractive and very stable.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that sure is some pretty engraving!!!

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No picture, but I saw one that had the tab removed and the cylindrical part knurled. It may have been custom made that way and not a modified military one.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I love the pictures and ideas. I already had a few ideas about shaping the "boss" but I really was clueless on what to do with the "flag" or switch or whatever you call it.
If you have any others I'd like to see them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reshaping of the cutoff boss on the side of the action on Idared's rifle is the neatest I've ever seen for the '03. I like it much better than any of the "streamlined" versions as it seems to preserve the feel of the action. It still looks like a Springfield. The flag seems a bit much though. Actually I don't really object to the appearance of the original. Just like the flared cocking piece it's part of the 1903 Springfield's persona. But if I were going to cleanup the side I'd do it Idared's way. It really looks good.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote