New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Mauser Actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been looking for Orberndorf Mauser commercial actions to make into custom rifles in the future. They are getting harder to find all the time. Often I am offered other options such as 09 Argentine actions etc. What are acceptable actions to invest in for future projects. I have a line on some 1935 Brizilian and Chilean contract rifles for a good price. Are these acceptable? What price should you pay for the alternatives? Is the Mauser Standard Model a good action? Any suggestions would be helpful

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any Czech made action 1924-55. German made actions from the 1930's, preferably Oberndorf. The Standard Modell is the closest thing to the commercial models, and would be my first choice.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
lb,
I've used all of the actions you've mentioned. My favorite is the '35 Chilean, followed by the Brazilian (essentially the same action). The Standard Modell often trades at a premium, but its not quite as attractive to me. Mostly because it lacks the Oberndorf markings on the side of the action.

If there are extra Chilean actions available, I'd like to join in the fun. Send me an email so we might discuss.
forrest@bruch.com

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what are you going to build? If you are not going to go with real high pressure cartridges you won't beat the smoothness of a good 1909.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
1935 Brazilians & Chileans and the 1933 "post office" Oberndorfs are especially good actions for building open sight rifles, like a European sporter or an English express rifle- mainly because of the markings: the Mauser banner on the bridge (or ring in the case of the 1933), and the Oberndorf legend on the side. A neat thing to do is stipple the receiver ring and leave the banner on the bridge and of course the Oberndorf markings.
Otherwise, there are plenty of other equally high-quality, less expensive military 98 Mauser actions to choose from if all you want is a custom 98 Mauser with a scope (VZ24, various DWMs, FNs, etc).

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006 I agree. I have located some actions I may be able to buy at a good price. What would the 1935's be worth if in "good to very good condition"?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite action is the 1935 Chelian and the Brazilain is just as good I suppose...I like the 1909 also...VZ 24 is a good action...I also like FNs for standard rounds...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
lb404: fla3006 I agree. I have located some actions I may be able to buy at a good price. What would the 1935's be worth if in "good to very good condition"?

I sold a 1935 Brazilian action about a year ago for $225, $10 more than I paid. SARCO had complete rifles with non-matching bolts in very good condition for $275 up until about 2 months ago. A non-pitted action for under $300 is probably a good deal nowadays.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was whom I was trying to contact about the rifles. Still no reply.

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sarco is "temporarily" shut down.

It seems that someone forgot to send in their license renewal to the state of NJ.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I did talk to SARCO about 2 months ago and they told me they had sold the last ones about 2 weeks before my call and they apologized for still having them listed on their website.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ib404

Click on to the current thread here on gunsmithing concerning .280 Caliber. Second post on there contains a photo of a lovely custom mauser .280 owned by Customstox and built on a 1909 Argentine.

In addition, try and get ahold of the old Gun Digest book of Custom Guns. In there you will see photos of numerous 1909 Argentines in calibers from .300 Winnie up to .404 Jeff as tricked out by David Miller and Curt Crum.

1908 Brazilian is the exact same action as 1909 Argentine. Some might be a bit soft, but a trip to a good heat treater and you have a very very good action that has been used by countless high quality riflesmiths to build some pretty nice rifles.

First Rifle in the SCI big five series was a .458 Win Mag built by Miller and Crum on a 1909 Argentine action. That rifle was auctioned off for $41,000.00!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

square shooter

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
How does the old K98 actions compare. I have a Yugo refurb.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote