THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Question on fitting a two-position M70-style safety

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on fitting a two-position M70-style safety
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I have a Mauser 98 fitted with one of Jim Wisner's 2-position M70-style safeties. How do you experts cut the curved notch in the cocking piece that the safety engages?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Bench grinder or "knife makers" belt grinder. And it's not a "notch" but an angle.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
With my favorite tool; the belt sander. Do not over do this and you should look at one before you do it; if you get the angle too deep, then you have bought a cocking piece. I can take a picture if you want.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that I kind of cheatererer on those fool things. I put a material stop in the mill and then clamp the cocking piece in by its sear and use a 3/8ths carbide end mill to take a couple of thousandths radius off the leading edge of the cam. It creates a bat wing, double radius which leaves the back side of the old safety cam intact which allows easy on again but still allows the cam to move the firing pin back the same amount as it did before. I take .002 inch and try it in the gun. If its not enough the material stop allows me to go right back in to zero on the mill to take another .002 inch. Try and cut, try and cut.

The procedure is the same whether you are re-cutting an old one or installing a new one.

ADD NOTE: It generally takes me two to three cuts and then I give the cam a light buff on a felt matchless wheel to take it to a mirror finish. I run the end mills at about 2000 RPM so they give a pretty clean finish as it is.

Gunsmith Rod Henrickson 70 Safety by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Here is one that has been done. You can clearly see the first radius that has been cut to allow the safety to re-engage the cam. The second angle is also clearly visible. The safety will now pick up the first radius, begin camming the firing pin back and then pick up the old angle. Only about .004 inch maximum is generally removed. Sometimes less.

Gunsmith Rod Henrickson 70 Safety Cut by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Well....I'm puzzled...The safety question was a TWO position for 98. I think we've morphed into the THREE position on a Remington?

OOPS MY BAD
I thought he was talking about a model 70 safety on a Mauser!

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Wisner safety doesn't need a notch in the cocking piece.
The Chapman does, so just check to confirm which one you have.

Posts: 631 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
It is a Wisner, and the cocking piece is a commercial one. The safety should engage the cocking piece and just lift it. Fitting can apparently be done by shortening the entire face of the cocking piece, or by taking a bit off of the top face. I was thinking of milling the face, but I have also heard of guys using a sander to take a bit off of the face.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of ways to remove metal. It usually looks cleaner if you use a surface grinder or a mill because it takes out the shaky-old-man element. Well, for me anyway. Usually you can find a way to jig it in the machine so that you can take it out, try it as you cut and get it back in the machine in exactly the same spot for another cut.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck.
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
It is a Wisner, and the cocking piece is a commercial one. The safety should engage the cocking piece and just lift it. Fitting can apparently be done by shortening the entire face of the cocking piece, or by taking a bit off of the top face. I was thinking of milling the face, but I have also heard of guys using a sander to take a bit off of the face.

Posts: 631 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do mine on the surface grinder,more exacting. It is a flat that the surface of the lever rides on; give it about .015 camming action; it has to cam the cocking piece back when moving the lever.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

On the grinder with a little jig I made. Holds it at an angle for three position units and straight for two positions and cutting the sear ledge.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don. That looks like a neat little fixture. What is the angle on the tilted hole.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30. I might still have a couple left somewhere. Here's the other hole in use. For cutting the whole face as you were inquiring about I just drop a nut in act as a shim.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
If you do have another, I would sure be interested.

one of us
posted Hide Post
fwiw,
Even though the Gentry three position claims to need the cut, after I ruined my first cocking piece, I found a Nazi Proof Marked unit that fell into place and worked like it was destined for the task... Nobody at the School of Trades had a clear idea of the proper relief angle. Posts like this one are GOLD...

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote