Notify
Tools

Re: 376 Steyr as a basis for wilcat cartridges
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
Bump

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
WJunkie -

What does the Jones bushing case forming die(s) cost you?

If it's more than about $80, you might want to contact Skip Otto at Skip's Machine Works in Colorado. I don't have his address handy at the moment, but he advertises in Precision Shooting. (He's a well-known and respected BR competitor and tool maker.)

He made me a bushing die for case forming .22 BR from .308. The cost with 4 (four) reduction bushings was about $70. The die works perfectly. Due to the various sized bushings used as intermediate steps in necking the .308 brass down and setting the shoulder back for an OAL of 1.5260", I can also use this die for making .30-BR brass from various .473 head cases such as the .308, 8 x 57, .30-06, etc.

I now make my own dies, but if I was going to buy them, I'd certainly chat first with the Skipper.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the bump WC.

Given the cost of brass and modifications to the bolt required (probably not too big a deal). I think I'm going to try the 8 x 57 AI from specs posted by HondoJohn:

Length from base to 40* shoulder..1.8612"---base to juncture of shoulder and neck....1.923"...diameter at 40* shoulder...0.455"....... These measurements from the reamer spec sheet provided by Dave Kiff @ Pacific Tool & Gauge, 598 Avenue C, White City, Oregon 97503...541-826-5808

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
about a year ago, midway was carrying a 30x376 die, reamer and headspace ga...

seems to me that a 257 and .284 would be perfect with the .375

jeffe

Posts: 38594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan D. and Wildcat, I made a deal this morning with a gunsmith to have a 416 Aagard built on an intermediate length small ring Mexican Mauser. The shoulder is blown out to .495 and the angle is 25 degrees. Email me if you're interested in the details.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote