Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a barrel...need advice....
 Login/Join

posted
I have been toying with getting my Sako L591 .308 rebarrel to something like a .260Rem.

I would like a stainless barrel, but want it to match the blued action as close as reasonable. If both the barrel and action were teflon finished, would the match?

Is is possible to order a completely finished barrel from somebody like Douglas ie chambered in 260AI and telfon coated so a local smith and just install it on the action?

I have never had work like this done before to I appricated any feed back...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
You would think that the teflon would get messed up from the barrel vise.

I can't tell the performance of SS bbls from regular steel barrels but I continue to buy SS!

I would get a SS barrel bead blasted.

What twist would you get in a 260? Nine is standard but other 6.5's use a faster twist.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Pete,

I have a couple of rifles which have been Teflon coated. It is very tough, and looks great too.

On the chambering question, yes you can have Douglas chamber it for you and all you have to do is put the barrel and the action together.

But, for this to wotk, you or your gunsmith has to take the current barrel off, take a few measurements. Talk to Douglas and they will let you know what they need.

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Savage,

I have not even cosidered twist yet...I just want to see if the project is feasible from both a practical and economic point of view. If it goes ahead i would like to shoot 120grn and 140grn bullets and would allow the barrel maker to advise as far as twist goes.

Saeed,

Does a teflon finish look anything like blueing?
Will to give the same finish on SS as on blued metal work? My problem is that I don't think we have any body offering teflon coating here in the UK so I would like to buy the finished barrel from the States already for fiting to the action...

regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PeteE,
I will post a photo of a model 700 that I stocked that was done with teflon. It has been redone 3 times now I believe. It was not done by the owner but by a gunsmith and then sent back to the supplier for the next two times. It does not look bad but it does not look like bluing. The problem with it is that it tends to flake off of sharp corners. You would not be able to hold it in a barrel vice to screw it on the action. The teflon advantage of nonstick becomes a disadvantage in this process. A smith friend of mine had one that had been precoated and he ended up sanding the finish off the shank so he could get a grip on the barrel and then had to have it recoated.

-

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Chic,

Thanks for that...are there any other finishes/coatings that can "blend" a SS barrel to a blued action?

Regards

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Teflon is more fragile than most folks think. I really do not like it.

The ultimate finish for a stainless rifle, or a stainless barrel and a CrMo receiver, is Black Robar Roguard externals with NP3 internals. You send the barreled action to Robar, they finish the action and barrel in the same process, the finish is identical on the receiver and on the SS barrel.

Look in the African forum, at the post titled "A Trio For Africa", two of the rifles have Robar Roguard coating, both rifles are all stainless.

Hey Chic, with the right equipment, you can pull a teflon barrel without damaging the teflon finish. No need to sand it off. I have pulled several teflon barrels with no damage. If anyone wants to know how, I will send some photos of my barrel vise set up. I also can pull blued barrels with no damage to the bluing.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
oooops

[ 10-21-2003, 19:09: Message edited by: bill smith ]

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what barrel should i get? i have a 700 bdl 7mm mag Lh with original barrel and want to get new one.if anybody in canada has any ideas on where to get a match grade cm barrel[would like to try canadian makers first,if not i will get one from the united states]. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.thank you

Posts: 26 | Location: alberta | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning do a search on this site for Ron Smith. He's an Alberta barrel maker (may as well try close to home first), and a he makes great barrels (I have three). - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dan thank you for the info .i need to know where i can get ron's number or his full address.also are you ready for satuday[opening day-nov 1]? good luck and may you shoot straight and true.

Posts: 26 | Location: alberta | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Pete:
We just last week got a sample back from the plating house we use of a black oxide on a short piece of 416 stainless. Looks like any other. A little more $ than the process on CM steel. They can plug off the ends to prevent the bore from being oxided.

Alan

Posts: 29 | Location: NH | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a pistol back from Walt Birdsong...he applied his patented Black-T finish. It is a baked on teflon finish. I'll use him again!
His shop has coated over 10,000 guns for the FBI and DOD...mostly for high speed/low drag applications. He also is the primary finisher for several high end gun manufacturing/custom firms.
The pistol was a beat to hell Sig 229 and it came back looking like new...$160 shipped. That's about $80 less than Robar.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Ron Smith, never used his barrels but am having one of them put on a rifle (7mm rem mag) that is being built right now as they come highly recomended. Gaillard (sp?) makes a good buttoned barrel in Saskatchewan (used his). Had a rifle with a Bevan King Barrel that was the best barrel, as well as the least expensive, I have used. You have lots of options.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would get a SS barrel bead blasted
Absolutely!

I have a stainless bead blasted barrel on a blued action and I rather like the contrast....it's actually attractive in my eyes.

However, you can also have your stainless barrel iron plated and then blued and It'll match the action nicely.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote