New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replace the j-lock with...
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
I know there are a number of good choices - what would you pick? TIA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve used both Holland and Gre-Tan and can’t tell any difference in quality, fit or performance between the two.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as in replace the whole bolt body, or just the back half after it is unscrewed?

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gixxer:
as in replace the whole bolt body, or just the back half after it is unscrewed?

Replacing the “J-Lock†or “ISS†feature doesn’t require replacing the bolt body itself, just the shroud/pin/cocking piece/spring assembly.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the negatives on the J lock ? None of my 700's have them, just wondering.

Thanks,
claybreaker

"aim small, miss small" Benjamin Martin

Posts: 90 | Location: EastTN | Registered: 21 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by claybreaker:
What are the negatives on the J lock ? None of my 700's have them, just wondering.

Thanks,
claybreaker

Besides being a total waste of time and being ugly...they also have the habit of creating a really rough and stiff bolt lift because the springs look like a worm on the move when they are compressed. They appear, for all practical purposes, like someone put a LA spring on a SA firing pin assembly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not to mention that the j lock might not fit some composite stocks. HS Precision is one of em, some of their models dont fit it.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
not to mention that the j lock might not fit some composite stocks. HS Precision is one of em, some of their models dont fit it.

Are we talking about the same thing?????

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
"Replace the j-lock with . . . "

Hows about a Winchester Model 70, classic or pre-64? Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:

Well, if someone would buy this rifle (700 classic in 7mm-08 listed on AA), I would do just that... cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3x62:
quote:

Well, if someone would buy this rifle (700 classic in 7mm-08 listed on AA), I would do just that... cheers

Since Remington 700’s are such terrible rifles I’ll take this one off your hands for $200 bucks...how’s that?

<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Since Remington 700’s are such terrible rifles I’ll take this one off your hands for $200 bucks...how’s that?

Oh, I like Remington actions just fine, but I would prefer a pre-64 70 FW with 1-9" pac-nor #1 CM chambered in 280 instead...

Thanks for the offer... beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3x62:
quote:

Oh, I like Remington actions just fine, but I would prefer a pre-64 70 FW with 1-9" pac-nor #1 CM chambered in 280 instead...

Thanks for the offer... beer

That’s what I thought! Smiler Everytime I make that offer no one ever seems to want to get rid of those “lousy†700’s. cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Let me clarify... a barreled 700 action with a J lock wont fit some stocks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why not??????

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
What the heck is a J-lock? Any pics? Does my 1982 Rem 700 have it?

Big Al

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why not??????

I dunno. All I know is I was at the HS precision website and when you click on certain models of stocks it says j lock equipped actions will not fit. I believe it was some of the tactical models

http://www.hsprecision.com/pst25.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
What the heck is a J-lock? Any pics? Does my 1982 Rem 700 have it?

Big Al

If your rifle did not come with that green plastic key with the "J" bent steel, and a "J" shaped receptacle on teh left side of the bolt shroud, then no you dont have the lock. Man, not having a digi camera is such a bummer. I would take a pic and post it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gixxer

I dunno. All I know is I was at the HS precision website and when you click on certain models of stocks it says j lock equipped actions will not fit. I believe it was some of the tactical models

I have no idea what you saw on there...I couldn’t find it.

I can’t imagine why a stock would be in any way affected by the presence of the ISS (J-Lock) feature on the bolt shroud, but I’m open to suggestions and am always willing to learn something new.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

If you look at the different models on teh page, like halfway down it goes like PST25 through PST26F or whatever, all of the PST26 models say this...

PST26 Remington 700, Right hand only, Long Action, BDL, Adjustable Length of Pull, and Cheek Piece, Vertical Grip (does not fit J lock system)
PST26F Remington 700, Right hand only, Long Action, BDL, Fixed Length of Pull, and Cheek Piece, Vertical Grip (does not fit J lock system)

That was a cut and paste from the link posted above...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m going to contact them to find out what interferes with what. I’m assuming it has got something to do with the height and position of of comb area because there is no other part of the stock that would come anywhere near the bolt shroud.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, when you do, post it cause I am sure we all would like to know why, and I guess you could ask em if a 3 position safety(insert brand here) would fit.