New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Marlin 336 Strength
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I currently have two Marlin 336's in 356 Winchester: a factory 336ER and a rechambered 336 from the 60's or 70's. I've been pushing the 336ER with some pretty heavy loads (but all within factory specs, I think) and no problems. I feel pretty safe with that.

But haven't tried them on the older 336 yet. So here's my question:

I've read at least 2 posts which said the 336ER's were regular 336 actions - Marlin made no changes for the 336 Winchester chambering.

Does anyone have any information either supporting or refuting this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjmci:
So I currently have two Marlin 336's in 356 Winchester: a factory 336ER and a rechambered 336 from the 60's or 70's. I've been pushing the 336ER with some pretty heavy loads (but all within factory specs, I think) and no problems. I feel pretty safe with that.

But haven't tried them on the older 336 yet. So here's my question:

I've read at least 2 posts which said the 336ER's were regular 336 actions - Marlin made no changes for the 336 Winchester chambering.

Does anyone have any information either supporting or refuting this?

All the forums I read about them on, including the a Marlin forum, said the ER just meant Extra Range because of the more potent caliber they were chambered in. One man even had a 19744 336 action that he put an original Marlin 336ER barrel on. No the action is just a standard action. It's not beefed up in the sense that Winchester's Big Bores were with the beefed up receivers. They said that they are extremely collectible and bring top dollar.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
More than a few people have taken new and old .35 Rem 336's and chambered them for .356 Winchester without any issues.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have built all manner of stuff on the 336; most notably two 405s and some 38-56s, both of which I loaded up until the lever pops open upon firing, (they are much faster to operate that way) then back off a little. The 336 is a very strong action, and I use only use old ones. I am not recommending you do the same.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have built all manner of stuff on the 336; most notably two 405s and some 38-56s, both of which I loaded up until the lever pops open upon firing, (they are much faster to operate that way) then back off a little. The 336 is a very strong action, and I use only use old ones. I am not recommending you do the same.

Tom don't know if you remember, but there was a gun TV show on called Wild Wild West Alaska. They were a full gunsmith place also. I remember when they build a 336 Marlin for the 500 S&W. They were smart enough to test fire it safely. The receiver split in half entirely length wise. The owner said "That's why we test safely. They then had to build a receiver on their cnc equipment that was very very much like the Big Bore Winchester 94's. Had the front and rear of the receiver built up. That did the trick!!!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Didn't see the show but that proves they weren't too smart, putting a 60K psi cartridge on a Marlin. Other 50 cal cartridges have been successfully put on Marlins but they often open the the threads a bit to allow more thread shank OD. Still not at that pressure though. 35-40K would be more like it.
Also, I guarantee that the barrel let go first; the escaping gas causing the receiver to split; not the other way around.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn't see the show but that proves they weren't too smart, putting a 60K psi cartridge on a Marlin. Other 50 cal cartridges have been successfully put on Marlins but they often open the the threads a bit to allow more thread shank OD. Still not at that pressure though. 35-40K would be more like it.
Also, I guarantee that the barrel let go first; the escaping gas causing the receiver to split; not the other way around.

I was told Marlin went form the square thread to the V thread on the 1895 because there wasn't enough meat metal wise between the barrel hole and magazine tube hole and they were cracking there. Did they change the thread?

Back on the 500 S&W being the bore is so large pressure drops really fast because of the fast increasing volume. Interesting it still blew the rifle up. So you think beefing the front end of the receiver up gave the barrel more support huh? Make's me wonder what the "bluepill pressure" is for the 336's in all caliber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem wasn't directly related to pressure.The problem seems to be that when you make the barrel just a bit larger to accommodate the cartridge and then make the mag tube a bit larger for the cartridge you are then making the walls of the receiver thinner and the webb between the barrel and the mag tube thinner[and weaker]you can not change these facts .In Marlin's eyes you are simply taking away to much safety factor for thier comfort[technically AND legally]

This is not my statement, but it makes sense.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have rebarreled several 95s and all were square thread. But for the 45-70 it doesn't matter.
I have heard that they went to V threads on the 450 Marlin but don't know for sure. Makes sense.
Not sure what you mean by beefing up the front end of the receiver; I don't know how you would do that. Barrels do not gain radial support from receivers; they must stand on their own.
Of course, making a barrel larger on the same receiver will make the receiver thinner. Is that what the guys with the 50 S&W did?; I did not see the show.
The threads are only .780 OD which leaves like .730 at the bottom of the threads. The 50 S&W is about .525 OD, so that leaves only about .1 chamber wall thickness.
Back to a 336 strength; I keep them to under 40K psi and do not have issues. Max pressure for a 450 Marlin is about 43K psi; so their proof load will be in the low 50s; still way lower than the 50 S&W operating pressures, and with thicker chamber walls. The guys who convert them to 500 Alaskan, and 50-110, still keep them at or below 40K psi.
The Marlin is very strong, but there are limits. And it is not the receiver strength; it is the chamber walls; I have also built 405s on them (2.2 inch); and in the early days, loaded them to full 405 WCF velocity; primers were, flat, and that is when the lever pops open by itself. No real issues, but the chamber walls are a lot thinner on a 40 cal.
Nothing I say or write, means anything; just because I did it does not mean anyone else can, or should, or even read it. Do not even read it. Lest anyone get ideas.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have rebarreled several 95s and all were square thread. But for the 45-70 it doesn't matter.
I have heard that they went to V threads on the 450 Marlin but don't know for sure. Makes sense.
Not sure what you mean by beefing up the front end of the receiver; I don't know how you would do that. Barrels do not gain radial support from receivers; they must stand on their own.
Of course, making a barrel larger on the same receiver will make the receiver thinner. Is that what the guys with the 50 S&W did?; I did not see the show.
The threads are only .780 OD which leaves like .730 at the bottom of the threads. The 50 S&W is about .525 OD, so that leaves only about .1 chamber wall thickness.
Back to a 336 strength; I keep them to under 40K psi and do not have issues. Max pressure for a 450 Marlin is about 43K psi; so their proof load will be in the low 50s; still way lower than the 50 S&W operating pressures, and with thicker chamber walls. The guys who convert them to 500 Alaskan, and 50-110, still keep them at or below 40K psi.
The Marlin is very strong, but there are limits. And it is not the receiver strength; it is the chamber walls; I have also built 405s on them (2.2 inch); and in the early days, loaded them to full 405 WCF velocity; primers were, flat, and that is when the lever pops open by itself. No real issues, but the chamber walls are a lot thinner on a 40 cal.
Nothing I say or write, means anything; just because I did it does not mean anyone else can, or should, or even read it. Do not even read it. Lest anyone get ideas.....

Been awhile since I saw that show. I know the material was stainless. What I don't know is if they acquired a Marlin 336 action or the cnc'ed one which I believe to be more accurate. As mention the first one split in half length ways, the entire receiver. Then the cnc'ed another where the front of the receiver and the rear of the receiver were fatter just like on the Big Bore Winchester 94's. For example the Big Bore 375. That did the trick for them and they tested it extensively. It didn't break anymore. Then I believe they went to a less powerful round like the 50 Alaskan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mic McPherson designed some tooling (that anyone could buy from Manson) which modifies both large and small centerfire action Marlins receiver threads for rounds like the 50 Alaskan (336 Action) and 475 Linebaugh (1894 action). I spoke on the phone with Dave Manson about this a few years ago, and he still offered them at the time, but sales were low and I think he planned on discontinuing them. Mic McPherson has built some crazy stuff on 336 actions incorporating his thread modification and higher strength barrels:

https://www.thefreelibrary.com...+Marlin.-a0185385602

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an old solid bolt Marlin, that had been rechambered to a 30-30 IMP. and I loaded it pretty warm, it was the equel of a 300 SAvage. without problems and its supposed to be a weaker action according to some..I liked the old solid bolt closed action best of all, it wasn't a dirt trap like the round bolt..

I had another later on in the 30-30 on the 30/40 case and it may have been IMP, don't recall..It had a tad of head space but shot well..and handled the headspace with neck sizing..

It seemed to me the Marlins always worked out well enough..but then the 308 in the Savage 99 kinda took over my soul!!and still does.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

The V thread was done on the 450 Marlin, 308 Marlin Express and the 338 Marlin Express because of the higher pressure loadings for extra safety according to "Tomray" on the Marlinowners website. Tomray was in charge of production at Marlin before the takeover.
I have a Marlin 1895 converted to 50 Alaskan.... I keep it at 40K psi loadings, really no need to push it harder.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote