New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pillar bed laminate?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a significant benefit to pillar bedding a laminate stock instead of the normal epoxy bedding? I can see how it might be possible to crush a stock by overtightening with an epoxy bedding job, but don't really see how it would be more stable to pillar bed. What kind of results have you seen between the two methods.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose it depends on your definition of significant. You might not ever be able to measure the difference in you lifetime, is it worth the peace of mind knowing you do not have to worry about compressing the stock in the action area? I pillar all of my stocks that are made of wood, and many of the synthetic stocks depending on the construction method used. If you are going to glass bed anyway the extra cost of the pillars is pretty small.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
those two methods are done for different results. They don't replace each other.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of laminated stocks but I've been thinking about pillar bedding mine.

I've also been considering "turd polishing" and putting a crossbolt behind the recoil lug.

it's all a "why the hell not" it's something I'll do myself and the cost is small...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote