New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about a Salford Imports Dakota SAA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, I have an old revolver, it was my dads, I have no idea where he got it or the why behind it, but am curious about it (I haven't shot it in years as I remembered full house 357 mag loads seems to have a lot of blowback if that's what you call it, gas and unburnt powder out sides of cylinder gap)

It is marked as follows.
left side barrel= Dakota Cal. 357 Magnum
lower left/underside= Hammerli Switzerland
right side barrel= Salford Imports Culver City Calif.

it has some wear through the blueing with kinda of a spidery thing going on for about 2" on the left side of barrel from holster (dad used to keep it in a holster). a bit of wear on right side right at tip of barrel. also a small chunk out of right grip at bottom.

when you move/lightly shake gun, the cylinder moves (you can hear it) is that normal?

My questions:
1. what is it/more information please?
2. If the cylinder thing is NOT normal, can that be fixed and is it worth it and then safe to shoot? (if it is normal, is it safe to shoot but maybe with cowboy type loads?)
3. what would it be worth, ballpark?

thanks guys.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really nobody on here works on or knows a lot about single action revolvers? any idea where I could go to find answers?

Red

posted Hide Post
quote:
Salford Imports Dakota SAA

See link #1 for a little info.

I cannot help you with value, but it sounds like it was a well-made revolver.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, that was about all I could find too, and I don't know enough about old singles to know if the cylinder should be a bit loose like that. I'll take it to local shop and see what they say. I would guess maybe 200 on value, maybe less. only curious, I hand't even pulled it out of the safe in 5 years probably since I put it in there!

Red

posted Hide Post
Maybe some of the SASS shooters at sassnet.com would know more.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote