New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeding problem model 94 winchester.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My old 30/30 is having feeding problems. its a little bit of an curiosity rifle anyway, in that the date of manufacture from the little brown book says 1941, But its also a flatt band.
My undersatnding is that the flatt band came out in 46, leading me to surmise the action was shelved for wartime production and finished after the war,(any body have a better guess? )
anyway the ramp pops up at the bottom of the stroke as it should and the round pushes forward ahead of the bolt and sticks just about as the case mouth enters the chamber.
If I lower the lever and raise it again a couple of times the cartridge slides home.
Is there a cam or timming mechenisum that should release the case rim so it lines up with the bore sooner ? and can it be adjusted by an amiture ? I may be way off base here but when I raise the lever and the round sticks going into the chamber, it seems the rim should be released to enable the round to slide home? also there are dents in the case neck after extracting. Any Ideas. Thanks in advance ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
correction the dents are on the shoulder.
I am going to try sm different ammo after carfully working the action and watchin the case rim ity apears that rim does not quite reach the matching divits in the side rails before the bullet gets stuck. But if I push the round just a tiny bit forward with a screw driver the rim reaces the divits, I am using fusion ammo, a fairly new product. Think Ill give some good old winchester 150 grain power points a try ! ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fixed it !
Used a very fine rpond file and smothed one of the divits in the side rail, feed smoth now. Love the way if feels, I like my marlin 4570and I think it a simpeler more rugged design, but the 94 is butter smooth ! tj3006

freedom1st