THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Request Recommendation: Best Quality Factory Replacement SS Bottom Metal

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Request Recommendation: Best Quality Factory Replacement SS Bottom Metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would appreciate your recommendation for a supplier of factory replacement stainless steel bottom metal.

Thank you.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know there was any commercially available SS replacement bottom metal.

We here at Bottommetal.com are alwsys looking for sugestions...or what action did you hav in mind?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for both the Classic CRF M70 and Remington M700 Long Action.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Williams used to make them, but apparently their raw materials cost rose to the point of causing them to discontinue the stainless models.

Sunny Hill still lists stainless models for some actions.

Dave Kiff makes stainless bottom metal for Remington actions.

All that said, if Duane were to offer his fine looking bottom metal in stainless, I would need no other source.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Charley: didn't know all that. What would be wrong with plating? Used to fool around with electroless nickel...looked a lot like SS...seemed to be petty durable

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
I would appreciate your recommendation for a supplier of factory replacement stainless steel bottom metal.

Thank you.

For the 700 I use these quite a bit:

http://www.hsprecision.com/new_floor_plate.htm

The bottom metal is a Teflon coated Stainless.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have pistol slides that I have had hardchromed that look exactly like matte stainless steel.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I'd like to get one for my stainless & wood M70 classic 30-06. I am kicking myself for not buying one from Williams when they were available. I HATE the 2pc factory unit they come with. It is not made of stainless steel. Not really sure what it is....but it does look & feel cheap.

I am interested in any leads along these lines as well.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAS II:
Williams used to make them, but apparently their raw materials cost rose to the point of causing them to discontinue the stainless models.

I'm curious, can the cost of the raw materials rise enough in proportion to the cost of the machining to make it unprofitable? How much could a hunk of stainless be?

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea how much his costs went up, but I can't understand why he didn't just adjust his prices to reflect the new costs and carry on.

Oh well, his business plan clearly works for him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the "Dave Kiff makes stainless bottom metal for Remington actions." that I was referring to. Dave does make a nice unit, but it is basically an exact replica of the Remington factory unit.

The Williams model featured an Oberndorf style release and floorplate that is a huge upgrade aesthetically, while still retaining the factory footprint.

The Kiff model is well made, but the Williams was a much more attractive piece, by quite a fair margin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a REAL pity about the williams. I have two of the stainless short action ones and really liked them