Find
Notify
Tools

First custom rifle advice needed!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello all,
I am very confused as to where to start with my first custom rifle project. I am going to have a left-handed M70 rebarreled with a premium barrel (in '06) action worked trued, etc. Also, will replace extractor, mag spring, etc., rust blue the works and place it in walnut that I already have picked out. Where do I start? I don't know of any 'smiths around me and certainly want someone that has a passion for Model 70's. I know there are many awesome 'smiths that post here and would be glad to hear from them on this as well. Any advice?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

HUNTR

Posts: 88 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a company in Albuquerque "Score High Gunsmithing".
They have a web site and I've heard they do good work, and I believe they have a 1-800 number on the site as they sell some parts and bedding kits.

Posts: 226 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm also left handed and just did exactly what you're planning - new Win 70 in 270, which I had tricked out out rebarelled to 9.3x62.

Although I had all my work done in Australia, the first place you should be looking for a guide is http://www.acgg.org

They have a number of publications and a video that will set you on your way.

Good luck,
-Stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NMwater,
Hey neighbor, have you ever used Score High? I did not see even one reference to building a rifle with any actions other than Remington, kinda makes me nervous!

Stu C,
I did go to the ACGG site and am still like a lost pup, heck, I even managed to go to a site where custom guns start at $9,000.00!! If I could do that I would have already turned D'Arcy Echols loose on my gun!

Many thanks for both of your replies!

HUNTR

Posts: 88 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first place to start would definitely be finding the gunsmith/gunsmiths. Preferably you should get references from them or see some of the work that they have done for other people. Believe you me, it is better to get it all done right the first time.

As far as the order in which to do it all, I am not sure on that, everybody has a preference. I am sure that when it gets to the stock finishing/metal finishing stages there is a best way. I personally prefer to have all mechanical things done first, then have the cosmetics done. So I would want metalwork first, truing action etc., rebarrel and chamber. Then I would think you would want to have it inletted to the stock. then you can have the bluing done while they finish up the work to the stock, checkering and finishing it. sometimes you will find a gunsmith that does everything themselves, or have craftsman that they work with.

It is nice if you can meet the gunsmith in person and talk to them, but remember that some of the best smiths live far away from you, sometimes a few states away. Don't count them out if you can get them to do the work, some of them have impeccable references and many on the group here can recommend ones to send to.

I hope your project goes well, keep us all posted.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although not that close to you, Jim Dubbell (in Washington) does wonderful things with Model 70's. I believe he is primarily a metalsmith, but don't quote me on that!
His e-mail address is: deltagunshop@hotmail.com and he posts here sometimes.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What the reference is to on the ACGG is probably the "Client's Guide to Building a Custom Gun". This is something that is specifically to help individuals getting their first custom work done. I have not seen it myself, but am going to order a copy, it says it has forms and diagrams. It would be well worth the 20 investment considering how much you will end up spending if something is done wrong to begin with.

My first true custom is still being worked on, all my other rifles have just had "modifications" (chamber changes, safeties, triggers etc. etc.) The one true custom cost me a bunch in bad decisions at the beginning, in the end it will amount to about 400 lost in paying for bad work, plus the cost of replacement wood and checkering/finishing costs. I am guestimating A MINIMUM of 800 that it is going to cost me over what it should have because I had the wrong place do the initial work.

so take your time. :-)

Red

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HUNTR338,
Order the Custom gun guide book from the ACGG from Jan. It is well worth the money. It may not answer all your questions but it will tell you the ones to ask. BTW, custom guns do not have to cost $9,000. Our annual exhibition is the same as SCI in Reno January 23rd, 24th and 25th. If you can make it, that is a good place to get some ideas.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in the middle of a similar project on a lefty model 70 action right at the moment. It sounds like you are on the right track so far.

May I suggest along with Dubell, you contact John Ricks or Mark Penrod.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HUNTR338,

I also recommend the ACGG Handbook. It presents lots of good ideas and brought up several issues I had not considered.

You might want to pickup the Intro to Custom Guns video as well.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
You would not go wrong contacting a company named Hill Country Rifle Company. they are located in New Branfels, Texas, and they make exquisite Model 70 Rifles. If you have a chance to look at the cover of the January 2004 issue of RIFLE magazine you can see a photograph of one of their Rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, but I was less than impressed with that cover girl.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of slowly building a custom rifle too...

Is it a good idea to collect the parts and bits first???

I'm planning to send it all to a good smith later.

Thnx!

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool Guy, I think you are better off to let the smith purchase the parts. He will sell them to you for the same cost that you can buy them and make a small profit from his discount. Most of the time their installation rates reflect that. I would however buy the action as this negates the need for collecting excixe tax on the completed project. This is a good site to firm up your ideas on what you want to build.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will put in a plug for Customstox. Not only does he have world class rifle making skils, but he is as honest as the day is long and a wonderful person to work with.

He has done or is currently working on several projects for me and I couldn't be happier.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Cool Guy, I think you are better off to let the smith purchase the parts. He will sell them to you for the same cost that you can buy them and make a small profit from his discount. Most of the time their installation rates reflect that. I would however buy the action as this negates the need for collecting excixe tax on the completed project. This is a good site to firm up your ideas on what you want to build.

Okay, I am going to buy the action first then...

Since I am broke most of the time I figured that I can just purchase parts as I go...

Maybe I should just save up for the one trip to the gunsmith then (sending action to smith).

Thnx!

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool Guy,

It can be good to collect certain parts ahead of time if you know exactly what you want. Unless you are a gunsmith or have lots of experience with putting the gun part together you might not know exactly what you need. So if you know ahead of time which gunsmith you are going to have do the work take the time to sit down with him/her and sketch out exactly what your goal is, and have him help you list out all the pieces you will need for completion. The things that are just standard stuff you can buy as you go, and the stuff that need to be fabricated or will be non-standard he can take care of for you.

good gunsmiths have such an incredible wealth of knowledge that letting them know your plan can be very enlightening, they will think of pieces that fit your puzzle you hadn't imagined.

Have fun with the project.

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second Howard and recommend Customstox as well. They don't come any better than Chic as either a craftsman or a person. In my opinion the key to a custom rifle is take the time and do it right. Such a rifle will become a treasured companion for years. That is where the value of a custom lies.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second Blue's nomination of Hill Country Rifles. I have two full custom HCR rifles, one based on a Mod70 and the other a Remington Titanium lightweight (they're building another Mod70-based rifle for me now, which utilizes an action I salvaged from a high dollar custom rifle that I commissioned from another well known gunsmith that never shot worth a damn - don't get me started). All of my HCR guns have been synthetic stocked. In addition, they have upgraded and repaired several of my guns. Matt Bettersworth runs the front office, and he is extremely knowledgeable, practical, honest and patient with my many questions. One thing to point out about HCR, which to my knowledge is extremely rare, is their accuracy guarantee. They guarantee that their guns will shoot 1/2 MOA or better with factory ammo (not handloads). I am amazed at the number of custom rifle makers who true up an action, screw on a barrel, bed the barreled action and ship out the completed rifle after only firing it once or twice to test if it goes boom. Some will break in the barrel if you pay them extra. But most will not guarantee accuracy. I know each rifle/barrel prefers its own particular load, but if accuracy is important to you, clarify this up front. HCR breaks in the barrel, and if they don't get an acceptably accurate gun, they go back to work. All that said, there are lots of good gunsmiths out there - just make sure you go in with eyes wide open. Make sure that you get your specifications down in writing from your 'smith - including accuracy expectations. That way both of you are on the same page from day one. Stephen Dodd Hughes wrote a two-part article a couple years ago in Accurate Rifle mag about comissioning a custom rifle if you can find it. Good luck

Posts: 235 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
If you want to get the most out of your custom rifle investment, you need to define your objectives first. If you don't know where you're going, you're liable to end up "somewhere else", which can be an expensive and frustrating destination.

Do you want a high-performance rifle, a pretty rifle, or a pretty, high-performance rifle? I recommend that you work with a riflemaker who builds COMPLETE rifles. Meaning that every detail is given careful and thorough consideration and effort to ensure your rifle's uniformity, finish, and performance. No stone is unturned, no detail is overlooked, and no compromise is accepted in its construction.

An accurate rifle is not enough, nor is it complete unless it is well balanced, feeds and functions properly, and is properly finished. A rifle that's built primarily for cosmetic gratification, yet does not function perfectly or shoot well is little more than pretty junk. The best rifles look good AND function perfectly, and they're not accidental success stories, either. Great rifles are great by design - not by happenstance.

If you're looking for a wood-stocked custom job, buy the very best blank that you can possibly afford, even if it stretches your budget. Likewise, spend extra money for fine detail work and upgraded components like custom bottommetal, a match-grade custom barrel, a built-up and checkered bolt release, and custom scopemounts that truly fit your rifle and scope.

Great custom rifles are collection of little details that add up to create a total package. More goes into what you DON'T see, rather than in what you DO see. The best riflesmakers I've ever worked with build 'em from the inside out, which is as it should be, and such guys never send out a rifle that has not been thoroughly tested for fine accuracy and perfect function. Don't accept anything less.........

AD

<eldeguello>
posted
There's a great stockmaker up in the Sandias just east of Albert-Turkey. (Or is that "Albuquerque"??

STOCKS, CUSTOM RIFLES, GUNSMITH

Address: BX 224 CEDAR CREST, NM 87008

Tel # 505-281-5419

Good luck!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
my 1st custom was a full blown pre war m70 with williams bottom metal, a #4 shilen barrel,m70 super grade studs, case hardened grip cap & butt plate.. it has a xxxx grade walnut stock, several problems.. 1. it weighs 11# with scope 2.it is simply too nice to use.3.i should have built it in another cal..4 customs later i am still not really found the perfect rifle.

if i had it to do again i would buy a used custom for $1-2,000 and learn what i liked or disliked about it.. after a year or so use i would use it as a model for my own gun or trade it in on another.i would then finish the barreled action and put it in a mule stock to use for a year.then i'd put it in a wood stockthere is a really good article in the current rifle magazine about customs..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MR Day,
Thanks for your response, I truly appreciate it, as I have all the responses!!

I am looking for pretty high performance rifle, I am already spending more on wood than I had budgeted, but, still not sure of an appropriate smith to do the "full" workup of the action and rebarrel. I do want better bottom metal (and have it picked out) I do want the bolt release re-shaped and knurled, etc. etc.. I simply don't have the money to go straight to a D'Arcy Echols, et al, for a project like this. I am certainly aware we all get what we pay for, but, $6, 10, 20,000.00 is not even realistic for me and my current budget. Who else might you recommend?

Thanks in advance and thanks again for all of the responses.

HUNTR

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Huntr338
My first real custom is being built now.
I supplied the action,pre 64 mod 70.And the two scopes,as
I am having Tally QD rings/bases installed.
Main scope a S&B 6x42 and the
back-up a leupold 6x42.
Caliber 338wm.
L/W 24" barrel
McMillan G&H stock camo marble

It gets exciting just thinking about taking it elk hunting.

Good luck
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I understand your concerns about cost.

One of the guys whose work I admire most is Roger Biesen. I started out as a fan of his legendary father, Al Biesen, and from what I've seen, Roger's work is just as good. The Biesen's build complete rifles, designed and finished for serious hunting, and the price is very reasonable for what you're getting. www.biesen.com

Here's another excellent way to go: Call Mark Penrod and have him do the metalwork to your specifications. He can do it all. Mark's work is truly beautiful and incredibly precise, and his barrel and chamber work is superb. Mark competes in the Super Shoot every year, and rest assured, he knows what precision and accuracy means. Best-quality work, reasonable price, and reasonable turnaround time. Penrod Precision, P.O. Box 307, N. Manchester, IN 46962

Another guy whose stockwork I admire to no end is James C. Tucker, who now resides here in Oregon. He's the perfect guy to send your Penrod metalwork to once it's complete. He finishes his stocks in the finest, most weather-resistent manner possible, and he beds 'em for accuracy. His work is beautiful and about as perfect as stockwork gets, but it's made to hunt with. P.O. Box 366, Medford, OR 97501

Take your time and have fun with your project. Half the fun is in the planning!

AD