THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Pre-64 model 70 featherweight contour barrel weight in 9.3 cal?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 model 70 featherweight contour barrel weight in 9.3 cal?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Pre-64 model 70 featherweight contour barrel weight in 9.3 cal? Anyone have any idea what such a barrel would weigh? Thanks
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone have any idea what such a barrel would weigh

Yep a little less than a 30-06. Big Grin

Sorry no clue as to exact numbers just bored waiting on a USPS truck

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I can tell you exactly how heavy it would be; too light for a 9.3. (recoil)

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I can tell you exactly how heavy it would be; too light for a 9.3. (recoil)

Open sight woods hunting rifle, for carrying much and shooting little. Shooting for about 7lbs fully loaded. I'm no he-man, but I can stand some recoil. Different strokes for different folks!

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
BOOM I had a 7# 338wmag. Used to kill on both ends. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I should think a factory contour starting out at 24" 06 length would come in about right at 21" with the 9.3. Assuming a synthetic stock to get to your weight?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking Krieger #3. Is that too heavy? I think that's what Phil Shoemaker has, though I'm not sure which brands #3 he's using.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:
I was thinking Krieger #3. Is that too heavy? I think that's what Phil Shoemaker has, though I'm not sure which brands #3 he's using.

I could be wrong, but I thought Phil's was a pre-64 featherweight model 70 contour.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
This 9.3x62 wears a Lothar Walther 718 contour, which is .591 at the muzzle. Rifle as shown weighs 7.3 pounds and recoil is very manageable. I can put 25-30 rounds through it before it becomes bothersome. The only downside I see is that the barrel heats up quick, but since it's a hunting rifle you want and not a bench gun, shouldn't be a problem.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
what length is that barrel finished at?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The true M70 FW barrel is 22 inches long and tapers directly from a small boss at the receiver. (Matt knows this) Factory weight for 1963 vintage M70 FW was 6.75 pounds. I had a .358 Winchester FW once and it was quite light; never fired it though; it was too valuable to fire. That will make a very light rifle in 9.3 but if you don't mind the recoil, go for it. With iron sights, it will not make 7 pounds unless you have a heavy stock. But for a hunting rifle, nice carrying weight and you never notice recoil when shooting at game anyway.
Breech diameter on a FW barrel is .970 and muzzle is .560. I would go for a M70 Carbine barrel contour, the rarest of them, which is nothing but a standard barrel made in 20 inch length.
That custom Mauser does look nice. The FW barrel will be lighter than that one because FWs have no large boss at the receiver end.
As Elmer said; " I want my rifles to kill at both ends".

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sevens; where did you get that stock?
Now you guys have got me wanting to build a 9.3x62.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments guys. Barrel length is 23 inches. Mike McCabe did the metal work for me and I actually did the stock. Bought a semi-inletted blank from forum member "christrees" and went from there. Checkering was Tim Smith-Lyon.

Considering how many stocks I've tried to make and messed up, very happy with the way this one turned out. Big Grin

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is just a gorgeous rifle!!! Thanks for sharing. My rifle will be built on either a 1910 mexican or a g33/40 mauser, depending on whether or not the Mexican feeds properly. I payed $200 for the Mexican. It is a little rough, but it is amenable for a cerakoted composite stocked rifle. It weighs just slightly less than a "standard" mauser action (dpcd-don't even think about it!Smiler) Weight savings with the small rings really comes from being able to use slimmer profile barrels and stocks. I really don't want this rifle to weigh much less than 7#'s, but certainly no less than six. BTW, at least as far as their pre-made pattern barrels go, Lothar Walther doesn't thread for the small ring mausers.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I won't; I am done with that. Do you have a reamer? I have a 1924 Mex (FN) that would be good for a 9.3. Those are large ring; I am not trying to save weight like you are. 6.5-7 pounds for a FW Mauser is doable. I want 7.5-8.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I won't; I am done with that. Do you have a reamer? I have a 1924 Mex (FN) that would be good for a 9.3. Those are large ring; I am not trying to save weight like you are. 6.5-7 pounds for a FW Mauser is doable. I want 7.5-8.

Sorry, I do not have any reamers. I am not a gunmaker or gunsmith, nor do I play one on the internet, (though if I there was a local gunmaker in my area to apprentice under, I would bug him to death to give me a shot.) You might contact Mike McCabe.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
MIke McCabe doesn't sell reamers; I will get one from PTG.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone please tell me the muzzle diameter of a pre-64 featherweight barrel?

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Pre-64 model 70 featherweight contour barrel weight in 9.3 cal? Anyone have any idea what such a barrel would weigh? Thanks
Matt

I had my LH Win 70 Re barreled by Pac-Nor it was originally in 270 Win asked them to match contour and it came
in around 7.5# With Mcmillion edge stock, 22" 9/3 X 62.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe a featherweight barrel in 3006 weighs 2 lbs 2 oz, so one in 9.3 would weigh about 2 lbs. I would be concerned about their being enough meat in the barrel for that diameter of a bullet.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You needn't be concerned about barrel wall thickness; modern chrome moly barrel steel is very strong; plenty metal all around. If you mean thickness at the muzzle, pressure is so low out there that barrels can be paper thin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talking about wall thickness, Winchester factory chambered its pre64 .264magnum in the FW contour,
just as it did with the .358win-

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I had an unfired .358 FW once; those were rare rifles. As for barrel wall thickness, read some of P.O. Ackley's tests on barrels; he turned a Springfield chamber down to 1/8th inch wall thickness and fired it several times. I think it finally cracked with a proof load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were to do this, I would modify the taper a bit to yield about 590 at the muzzle while retaining the same dimensions from the mid-point on back. This to counter lightness at the muzzle end and a butt-heavy rifle. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd,
I believe I have a 9.3X62 PT&G reamer. I would loan it to you. If interested send a PM. I've only done 2 chamber jobs with it and I am sure I have several bushings.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with bbell on the wall thickness. Button rifled barrel makers recommend no less than .0125" wall thickness because the bore can open slightly. Resulting in poor accuracy. So, 9.3mm + .250"= minimum barrel dia. at the muzzle.
Cut rifling is another matter. Check with the barrel maker you plan to use.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Tommy, when I talked to Dan Pederson about reboring a model 70 30 06 with a .600 muzzle to 9.3 he went."weeeelllll, that's right on the edge of what I like to do." Tells me maybe a .625 is better for a rebore???