THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    I finished a Mauser to give to a stranger for free

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I finished a Mauser to give to a stranger for free
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My email pen pal has a pen pal who is in the Army, getting back from Iraq, and the soldier's teen age daughter wants a rifle.

I started a rifle in April, but within a month I realized that it was too heavy for a 5'2" teen age girl.

I started another action, barrel, and stock in May.
It is ready for pick up, and weighs a hair less than 8 pounds with scope and sling.

The stuff I did:
Trued the receiver face
Drilled and tapped the action
Milled off the charging hump
Draw filed the charging hump
Polished and blued the receiver
Milled the TIG welded bolt to fit the receiver
Did a trigger job
Cut down the width of the trigger guard.
Cut threads.
Cut the chamber
Cut down the tang on the receiver
Pillar bedded the stock in the rear
Glass bedded the barrelled action to the stock
Painted the stainless barrel
Blued the safety, sear, and trigger gaurd
Sawed slots in the safety shroud and installed an M70 type safety
Mitered off the glued recoil pad.
Screwed on the pad and belt sanded to fit
I put rings and scope on
I cut down the bolt to clear the scope eyepiece
Went the the range, shoots 1" 3 shot groups at 50 yards with 87 gr and 1.5" with 100 gr bullets

These were some cheap parts:
1903 Turkish Mauser action $50
Addams and Bennet stainless #1 taper .243 barrel $37
Chapman safety $20
Weaver scope mounts and screws #45, #46, $5
B-square rings $7
old used Leupold 4X $100
Stock free to me
Sling free to me
Paint $5
Gun sock $5
Bullets, powder, and brass thrown in, $10

What does it all mean?
I turned $200 worth of parts into a $200 gun, gave it to a stranger, but but I only watched half as much TV and ate half as many snacks for two months. I used up the poorest parts in my over stocked collection, that would have otherwise wound up in the trash when I die.

I feel good.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way cool! Cool

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you on two fronts: 1) helping a member of our armed services who has served overseas; 2) Helping a youngster who wants to shoot.

May Heaven hold the best rifle parts and hunting grounds for you!

Jim

Posts: 1208 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you! thumb I cast and load for people that otherwise would leave their guns set, I always feel better after.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
My email pen pal has a pen pal who is in the Army, getting back from Iraq, and the soldier's teen age daughter wants a rifle.

I started a rifle in April, but within a month I realized that it was too heavy for a 5'2" teen age girl.

I started another action, barrel, and stock in May.
It is ready for pick up, and weighs a hair less than 8 pounds with scope and sling.

The stuff I did:
Trued the receiver face
Drilled and tapped the action
Milled off the charging hump
Draw filed the charging hump
Polished and blued the receiver
Milled the TIG welded bolt to fit the receiver
Did a trigger job
Cut down the width of the trigger guard.
Cut threads.
Cut the chamber
Cut down the tang on the receiver
Pillar bedded the stock in the rear
Glass bedded the barrelled action to the stock
Painted the stainless barrel
Blued the safety, sear, and trigger gaurd
Sawed slots in the safety shroud and installed an M70 type safety
Mitered off the glued recoil pad.
Screwed on the pad and belt sanded to fit
I put rings and scope on
I cut down the bolt to clear the scope eyepiece
Went the the range, shoots 1" 3 shot groups at 50 yards with 87 gr and 1.5" with 100 gr bullets

These were some cheap parts:
1903 Turkish Mauser action $50
Addams and Bennet stainless #1 taper .243 barrel $37
Chapman safety $20
Weaver scope mounts and screws #45, #46, $5
B-square rings $7
old used Leupold 4X $100
Stock free to me
Sling free to me
Paint $5
Gun sock $5
Bullets, powder, and brass thrown in, $10

What does it all mean?
I turned $200 worth of parts into a $200 gun, gave it to a stranger, but but I only watched half as much TV and ate half as many snacks for two months. I used up the poorest parts in my over stocked collection, that would have otherwise wound up in the trash when I die.

I feel good.

A little satisfaction goes a long ways.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite sayings is that it never ever hurts to bank a little good Karma, every chance you get. I'm way over due, and getting worried. I would have felt much better if you had used that old 1918 Oberndorf Mauser I sold you a few years back. Wink

KB Big Grin

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KB,
That 1917 Orberndorf receiver I got from you may never get used.
It is too nice.
I might screw it up.

But thanks to this 243 project on lesser materials, my skills are one step closer to using the good stuff I have lying around.

And I got some of the that not so good stuff out of here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anytime a serviceman is helped and a new shooter joins the ranks, we all win. Thank you for your service...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:

I feel good.

As you should. That's what's important.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tnekkcc ; salute salute salute

You are a credit to Humanity !. patriot

Has indeed shot straight !.

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you. We are all indebted to our service men and you did something about it.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tnekkcc,

Very nice thing to do for a vet. Very nice thing to do for the next generation of hunters. GREAT for the karma!

Hats off to you!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bravo, what a nice thing to do patriot

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
saluteroger thumb

No Krypton for Christmas this year in your stocking. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin I think you made us ALL a little happier. God bless you and have a VERY happy Fourth of July. You deserve it. thumb

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
We should all think about your example.

My first rifle was a gift I received as a twelve year old kid from a man named Bill Hobbs. He knew I was interested in guns and that I didn't have one.

I will never forget him or his generosity as long as I live.

And I like your ideas for a lady's rifle. What LOP did you go with on the stock?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13664 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took pictures and gave them a choice of my Mauser take off stocks.
Left to right:
1) 14.5" [with 1" recoil pad]
2) 13.5"
3) 13 [with no butt plate]
4) 13 [with 1" recoil pad]
5) 14.25"
6) 13.5"
7) 11.5"

The rifle she is getting [in a few minutes if they show up] is #1 with 7/8" then cut off.
It is now 13.625" from butt of the recoil pad to the trigger.

What makes that stock so light, and why I got it for free, is someone carved an eagle on the right side. The eagle head stands in bold relief. That relief is getting close to the line where I shorted the stock.

Let me say this to all those kind words above:
I did not do anything that took any extra effort on my part.
I saw an opportunity to justify more dabbling in my hobby and get rid of some extra parts I would never use.
Also, it is low stress to work on cheap parts.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
The rifle she is getting [in a few minutes if they show up] is #1 with 7/8" then cut off.
It is now 13.625" from butt of the recoil pad to the trigger.

If you would be so kind, let us know how that rifle fits that young lady. tnekkcc, the reason being is that I find that the most comfortable LOP for me is about 12.6" on most rifles. I do have short fingers and fat shoulders, however. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may not feel it was anything special, but I gaurantee that the young lady, her parents, and anyone who reads this or hears about it does. There aren't enough people anymore who think about others enough to do ssomething like this. I would be proud to meet you and shake your hand.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tnekkcc, this is but one more example of your generosity.

I didn’t need to read this Forum very long to discover your abiding interest in helping others like myself, with free advice and tips. Thank you!

My current interest is in subsonic bolt-action shooting of 45 ACP, and you have helped me. We have a Thread going at “big boresâ€, and your presence there would be a great honor.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Very nice gift, hopefully one that keeps on giving as the little lady goes thru life raising children and interacting with other parents.

thumb

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I met the 40 year old retiring soldier and his 12 year old daughter. She looks more like 15. The rifle fits her. She operated the bolt with some difficulty. The welded on bolt handle is long, and it seems like allot of leverage to me, but just barely enough for her.

She was here for 45 minutes, and held the gun the whole time, so I think the 8 pounds was light enough for her.

I had been taking pictures of every hole I drilled and sent email every day for a couple months. She said she read those emails and bragged to her friends about the rifle she was getting.

She said all the right things I want to hear.
Now I need to find something else to do to keep me away from the TV and the refrigerator.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
She said all the right things I want to hear.

Tnekkcc, well, I bit the bullet and ordered a $120 7mm Mauser on Gubroker a couple of hours ago. I want to re-barrel it in 45 ACP. I hope its not just junk. The Seller has excellent feedback, and has a no-fault return policy, so my fingers are crossed. See it here:

â€http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=103649207â€

I know you successfully rebarreled a Turkish Mause in 45 ACP early on, so you plowed the road for a few of us. I hope I will have similar success (fingers crossed).