New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone build this rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On page 261 of of the 3rd edition of Mauser Bolt Rifles by Olson, there is a photo at the top of the page of a Mannlicher-Haenel rifle. This rifle was built using the M1888 Commission action in the early 1900's.

I like the looks of this rifle and am considering building a version based on a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 action. My plans are to re-work the bottom metal by re-shaping/thinning the trigger guard loop, re-shape the trigger, stone contact surfaces, flame color the magazine(color case if not too expensive), remove issue sights and install Marble open sights, alter bolt handle,polish and blue all metal parts then drop in a Richards maple stock.

I am comfortable doing everything but the bolt and flame coloring/case coloring. Can any of you guys reproduce the "lambs tongue" bolt handle and do the magazine coloring? If so, E-mail me with quotes.

Also, I would entertain any suggestions you might have to improve to the project.

Thanks, Bobster

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've seen nagant's take a lot of abuse. Unless it's the octagon receiver, they ARE ugly.. but, if you wanted to improve this project, rebarrel to 45/70, with a 1/2 octagon barrel.

Jeffe

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I lived in Tachikawa, Japan, during the Korean War. There was a Japanese gunshop in the town.which PROBABLY got started sporterizing Arisakas for GI's after WWII, since Japan has NEVER allowed any of it's citizens (EXCEPT OFFICERS!!) own firearms OF ANY KIND. Well,during the Korean fracas, a lot of M91-30 Moisins were being brought back, and I was amazed at what beautiful sporters they could make out of some of the better ones. Some of these had octagon-shaped receivers, and with a butterknife bolt handle, shortened barrel, figured walnut stock, new iron sights, a K4 in a side mount, and a moderate amount of tasteful engraving, you would not know what you were looking at except for the protruding magazine. Likewise, the Mannlicher-Haenel makes into a nice sporting rifle, except you have to keep pressures pretty low.

[ 02-19-2003, 23:05: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eldeguello:
Japan has NEVER allowed any of it's citizens (EXCEPT OFFICERS!!) own firearms OF ANY KIND.

There are lots of private shotguns in individual hands nowadays in Japan, and a number of high-power rifles too. Handguns, now that's another story...

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you use a different action. It is not worth your time to mess with a Nagant. For a bargain sporter to learn on, a Turk 98 is a much better cantidate. The Nagant will never be a decent rifle no matter how much you polish it.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have sporterized a few 91/30's for myself.

I am just finishing 45/70.

I look for receivers that are ~1942 and earlier for the inner stop ring.
Receivers made before or after WW2 have MUCH nicer finish.

While I bend Mauser bolts, I get someone to TIG weld extensions on the bolt handles. The popular sniper bolt handles make the scope too high for me. I try to make the scope mounting as low as possible and still have a stiff mount.
I make scope mounts out of the discontinued style of anodized Aluminum Tapco AR-15 riser mounts.

The extractor relief is a problem for me with bull barrels, as my rotary table thru hole is only 1.125", so I have worked out a system of manually rotating the barrel in the mill vice.

After market stocks were once available from Fajen. Now the only off the shelf stock is Advanced Technologies, which is injection molded and so won't easily glass bed. I think Richard's Microfit offers it as a special, and there may be others.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Unless it's the octagon receiver, they ARE ugly...

I like the octagon recievers. The round ones are so boring looking, might as well be a m700, ick.

Kristofer [Big Grin]

[ 02-20-2003, 23:59: Message edited by: KBGuns ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
KB,
I meant that the round ones are UGLY, and the octa's at least can be pretty...

Heck, wouldn't be too ugly a gun, with a 1/2 oct barrel and action, decent sights...

jeffe

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
Jeffe,

I'll let you buy this time. [Wink]

Hey, did you get my email, with my VZ pics in it?

Kristofer

one of us
posted Hide Post
 -

one of us
posted Hide Post
 -

one of us
posted Hide Post
*"I suggest you use a different action. It is not worth your time to mess with a Nagant. For a bargain sporter to learn on, a Turk 98 is a much better cantidate. The Nagant will never be a decent rifle no matter how much you polish it."*

1.Yes the Mauser is easier to work on.
2.I have 2 M.N.'s customized, with a couple more in the works. So,a rifle that shoots groups that average <.75", with a 2.5# trigger pull will never be a "decent" rifle? [Roll Eyes]

Oh! I get it. they didn't cost over $1,500.00 to accurize or customize, so they are junk.
[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

[ 02-21-2003, 00:48: Message edited by: TERRY8mm ]

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
I like 98 Mausers the best of any gun design, but I like 91/30 Moisin Nagants a little too.

For me, the 91/30 niche is rimmed cartridges. When I put 50 gr of IMR4895 and a 180 gr bullet in a 7.62x54R and the bolt gets sticky, I feel safe knowing that rim is in there.

They ARE UGLY, but maybe a little more accurate and reliable than the Mausers.

Almost all my 26 Mausers are in some state of sporterization, and all my 8 Nagants are too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Oh! I get it. they didn't cost over $1,500.00 to accurize or customize, so they are junk."

Niether costs anything, you do the work yourself. I have made lots of marginal sporters over the years. Yes it is fun. But, when all is said and done a Jap or a MN sporter is JUNK. A Mauser is not. A well done M1917 is not. Has any real custom smith ever made a guild rifle on a MN action?? It seems to me if you choose a little better in the begining you can actually sell the thing when you get tired of it. Take the money and buy more parts to make more rifles and learn more gunsmithing.

Bottom line is that you are having fun, so enjoy. Maybe think about doing a mauser of 1917 next time?? You won't be sorry. Happy smithing.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote