Notify
Tools

Re: Another kind of Mauser safety
 Login/Join

<JOHAN>
posted
fla3006

True, I still have a few. I like the Gentry or Wisner design better

I shall also mention that you need the shroud, cocking piece and the correct firing pin to have it work properly.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this the style?

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
blue

you might like to try fitting a safety for the Steyr M95 to the Mauser bolt sleeve.

Stanley

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Another Brno safety yet, the great ZG-47:

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It came on the rifle.
They were standard on the 1942-55 small ring mausers known commonly as the 21 and 22 series.

They work similar to the FN, just with a more streamlined appearance. They do not lock the bolt however, as does the FN. I have used them on large ring 98's, but they look better on the small ring models such as the Brno or the G33/40.

Sometimes they turn up on E-Bay. I'll look thru my parts drawers, I may have a spare.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
FLA3006,

Thanks for not buying that model 50 safety.

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Z1R, Nick has more if you need more.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi fla3006,

If Z1R does not buy them all up, I would be interested in buying one FN safety. Been looking for over a year now. Must be looking in the wrong places.

Tom

Posts: 35 | Location: Half Moon Bay, California | Registered: 09 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fla3006,
The comment about your very nice ZG-47 reminds me of the adage about "better to remain quiet and be thought a fool, than ................"

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fla3006, How doses the safety you showed work and what is your opinion of using the safety off of a Brno 21-22 on a DGR in the class of a 500 Jeffery? I am currently having a 500 Jeffery built and one of the options I was considering was using the Brno safety for an easy on easy off streamlined safety for the boomer.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Tom, check your email.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
404, the ZG-47 safety works similar to a M70 safety except the lever rotates up & down instead of front & back. That is, the safety lever is mounted on the side of the shroud instead of the top (similar to a Sako Rhimaki). It locks the firing pin and bolt, just like the M70.

The Brno 21/22 safety also blocks the firing pin but does not lock the bolt in place, thus the bolt can open with the safety on. I have had this happen while hunting with a 21-H and therefore think this safety would not be the best for a DGR. I'd go with one of the aftermarket M70 types like the Dakota, Gentry, Wisner, etc. The Brno 21/22 looks great on a custom rifle (a friend just built a beautiful Mexican Mauser using one) but probably not the best from a functional standpoint. I also agree that they look best on a small ring action.