New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Mauser stock
 Login/Join

<Sooner>
posted
I picked up a Yugoslavian Mauser action knowing that this action was a little different than the rest. Does anyone know of a source for a stock for this action? I have called all the catalog companies (Miway,Sinclair, etc.) they have Mauser stocks but they don't know what variations they fit. Their advice was to buy one and try it. I'd kinda like to get it right the first time!

Sooner

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe Great American Gunstocks (www.gunstocks.com) has stocks available for intermediate length Mauser 98's, which I believe the Yugo is.

Incidentally, I've heard one gunsmith's opinion that Yugos are the best in heat treating and machining -- haven't looked at one myself, so I can't comment about this (nor am I a smith, that's why I accepted this guy's judgement).

[This message has been edited by Todd Getzen (edited 04-20-2001).]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I only have had one experience with Great American Gunstocks, and it was FAR from satisfactory.

GAG is what I do every time I see the name.

I cannot speak to their "off-the-shelf" stocks, but I ordered a $225 semi-custom stock for an upgrade-wood large-ring Mauser with delivery in six weeks. After eight months of to-and-fro shipping me the wrong style or the wrong wood or the wrong inlet they lived up to their "money back guarantee" by refunding me about $120. I was also out $50 for shipping the various "riflestocks" back and forth.

They charge your card the first day of order, so that by the time you realize you are in trouble the 60 day period the charge card allows you to challenge them is gone.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Don

<Scott H>
posted
Don,
Thanks for the alert.

Sooner,
Try Boyd's http://www.boydboys.com/

Scott

<Don G>
posted
Check out Richard's Microfit stocks at http://www.rifle-stocks.com

I have heard nothing bad about them, and a lot of good. No personal experience.

Don

<Scott H>
posted
Don,
Thanks for the link, I wasn't aware they had a web site.

Richard's Microfit is a good company. The company was called Peterson Machine carving in the old days. They were probably most known for their thumbhole sporter stock. I believe it was called the Californian. Monty Kennedy collaberated with them on several patterns in the old days. After Carl Peterson died, his son took over the business and still runs it.

Over the years my dad bought at least twenty stocks from them and liked them very well. I bought one and was quite satisfied. I don't care for stock work and do it as little as possible, which is why I only bought one.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott H (edited 04-20-2001).]