New
Find
Notify
Tools

TC Contender barrel reline?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 10" 30 Herrett first generation barrel. It is useless to me. It has a ridiculously long throat and has never shot very well. Making brass is a pain. I'm over it. I want a 22 LR. Relining it would be super easy. Is there any reason not to do it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scota4570:
I have a 10" 30 Herrett first generation barrel. It is useless to me. It has a ridiculously long throat and has never shot very well. Making brass is a pain. I'm over it. I want a 22 LR. Relining it would be super easy. Is there any reason not to do it?
Throw enough money at a problem, and about anything is possible. Buy the .22LR barrel and you'll have enough $$$ left over to buy cartridges for many, many years.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd trade it for a .22LR barrel. Relining will cost the price of the new barrel.

That said, if you really want to do it, don't reline. Cut the barrel off at 3" and bore it out for use as a mono block. You can make it anything you want doing it this way. I've converted a couple this way and it is a pretty simple job.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the tools and material on hand already. The cost will be zero.

I like the mono block idea. On the other hand it would be a time saver to not have to re-drill and tap for the sights and scope.

My question was more of unforeseen pitfalls or if people pay premium prices for old 10" 30 Herrett barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, they generally go for less than a 30-30 barrel in my experience. Not a lot of folks know what they are anymore or, as you note, they don't want to mess with a wildcat.

Since you're doing the work, either method is good. I like the mono block since then I can dictate all of the other parameters like length, taper, etc.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you just "re-line", what do you propose to do about that .30 Herrett chamber? It is much larger in diameter than the barrel liner.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And, once that is cured, you will need a 22rf extractor and you'll need to cut the slot for the extractor. After a conversation with T/C awhile back, they may or may not have that needed extractor for an 'old model'.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Easy; you machine the liner to fill the chamber, or bore the entire length to rim diameter. .
But it is not worth the effort; sell the 30 and buy a 22.
Not like you are can't get them.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
l

The Redman liners I am familiar with use a 8mm drill. Now, If you're turning your own liner from a barrel you can make it any size your little heart might desire. Sounds to me like a lot of fuss for a barrel you can buy for $200+. I didn't "fall off the turnip truck yesterday, or today", I have been machining for living since '74, and I also managed to graduate from MCC with a diploma from their gunsmithing program in '93. Some battles just aren't worth fighting. I choose to take on those that are worth while, so I don't feel like I'm giving my limited time away.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Rechamber to a 30-30? Sell it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a barrel stub ‘kit’ I’d trade you for the barrel. It is all machined from one piece and you thread/chamber just like a bolt rifle fitting.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 30-30 barrel already.

The "liner" would be turned from a scrap 22 barrel. The size would be large enough to clean up the rim cut, 1/2 or 9/16".

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I too have a 30 Herrett barrel, but mine has a way oversized neck.
IF I needed a 22 barrel, I would chuck it up, bore it out and make liner to fit.
If going from a 22 barrel. I think I would machine in the rim diameter in the back of my machined liner. I may be talking myself into this since it is "worthless" as a 30 Herrett barrel.

I fact this may be the use for one of those cheap 10-22 barrels

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4259 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't the "stub" approach easier than relining? What are you going to do for an extractor?

I do appreciate doing things the hard way and you seem determined to go that way... Smiler but as others have said you can buy a 22 barrel pretty cheap and sell the other barrel to offset the cost. You also have an offer to trade a stub kit for the barrel which would save some work...

Posts: 817 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I fact this may be the use for one of those cheap 10-22 barrels

I have several..

Isn't the "stub" approach easier than relining? What are you going to do for an extractor?

Make one or modify what I got.

Scot