New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet jump and Barrel wear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have worked up loads using Speer 150's and Hornady 180's.Got one of those Stoney Point oal gauges to get as close to the lands as practical.The 150's,if I pushed the bullet in the oal gauge to the lands,would fall out of the case.They must have been .4 or better off the lands when seated.(yea,that's not a typo,.4)The 180's I can get to .020 or better with no problems.Groups with both are w/in an inch if I do my part.. Gun is a Rem.700 bdl 30.06.My question is, will the "jump"(.4) using the 150's erode the barrel faster than the "jump"(.020) shooting 180's?Loads are well under max for both.

Posts: 147 | Location: Green Co.,Wis | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So your saying that the 180's are at least .380 longer than the 150's. I don't believe it.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walker:
So your saying that the 180's are at least .380 longer than the 150's. I don't believe it.

I think he`s saying the ogive on the Speer 150 is .38" farther up the bullet then the 180 gr Hornady SP. I can believe it. The Sprire Point has a very long taper to it and is usually seated quite abit longer in my experiance if the ogive is at the same point from the lands as a Speer or Sierra bullet.

prplbkrr,
I doubt you`ll have any more wear because of the jump of the bullet. The cause of throat erosion is heat and pressure and that will still be present at about the same amounts.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info Ol' Joe.When I first measured the ogive,couldn't believe the jump the 150's had.Was really concerned about shooting(as opposed to burning) out throat.I am going to shoot the 180's as they seem to have better performance on Wis. whitetails.The 150's I had to shoot the deer twice,with the bigger pills they died before they hit the ground.Only shot 3 deer with the 150's though.seems enough of track record to me.thanks again.

Posts: 147 | Location: Green Co.,Wis | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about the bore in a 30-06. You will have a decent life regardless. FWIW, there are certain 180 gr bullets with uniquely short ogives designed especially for the 300 Win mag because of it's short neck and magazine box. They are designed to reach the lands even when deeply seated as is often required in many guns chambered for the 300 Win. Also, as the bullet jumps into the throat most of the powder is still a solid mass compacted behind the bullet. It is all burning shortly thereafter and that is the heat that affects the bore/throat.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote