Find
Notify
Tools

Ding in a stock...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Wife knocked an Al Biesen rifle of mine out of the safe and put a nice indent in the wood. Any 'smiths you can recommend to try and cure it as much as possible? The rifle was mint and possibly unfired.... yeah, I am sick!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Big question is it a dent or are the wood fibers cut? A dent can be steamed out. Yes it will require some refinish work. If the fibers are cut then while you can still lift the fibers with steam you will have a more noticable impact point. If it is a chip with missing wood that is another can of worms.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Like said above,if the fibers are not damaged,you can use water and a heat gun to slowly raise the wood. Just be careful not to get the wood too hot.Use plenty of water.

Dave

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Just a dent no cut fibers as far as I can tell...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I've had success in using a variation of the above mentioned process. I take the Wife's iron and a soaking wet bath cloth and try to concentrate the heat on the ding. I place the wet cloth on the ding and apply the narrow end of the iron making sure to not let any of the hot metal touch wood and not let the cloth completely dry out. Go slow and check often.

Steve E............

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send me pics and I will try to walk you through the repair. I can do the job if you need help.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
It's actually very easy to do with the above procedure. The wood comes back to shape very quickly too. then just polish out with some wax or oil.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have a $20 hand steamer that my wife got years ago. Takes dents out like magic. Put in water, let is heat up for about 10-15 minutes and then you have enough steam to last a long time and get dents out.

I think this is the model. Now $35

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Pu...eywords=hand+steamer

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, tried the iron and wet towel trick and it worked OK. Not perfect but better than it was. I hate to rest the iron too long and create a whole new set of issues. Applied some lemon oil afterward and the results were definitely less noticeable.

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Just don't let the rag dry out. Rest the iron on the wat cloth not on the wood. Can't ever remembering burning the wood.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There ia a video on raising dents think you-tube, put drop denatured alcahol in dent light you can repeat i've tried it worked ok also iron and damp rag works ok to.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.