New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Mauser identity?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ran across something a bit odd, today. A DWM 1909 Argy, with a .30-06 barrel. The odd thing, this was a stepped, military style barrel with military sights. It was in a plain, but serviceable sporter stock. I was not able to pull the action out of the stock to look for ID marks, but the barrel is stamped .30-06, and the bore appears to be .30 caliber. My guess was a DWM action rebarreled in Germany?

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pedestal,

I think several of the South American countries adapted their Mausers to .30-06. I'm 99% sure Columbia did, and I think Peru did, too. That barrel might have come from one of those rifles.

Best,
Joe

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pedestal-

Was the 30'06 inscription on the barrel in tiny numerals? I have seen several like this, bought one of them (Doug, it's the one you're barreling to 404), and all seemed to be rechambered 7.65x53 (the original Argy '09 caliber) Therefore the groove diameter will be .311-.312". Supposedly some would shoot well, others wouldn't. I don't know personally; I never fired mine.

I think at one time that Sears retailed some of these, so chambered.

Bob

Posts: 120 | Location: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Yep those are 7.65's that were rechambered to 30-06 years back.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Stephenson:
Pedestal-

Was the 30'06 inscription on the barrel in tiny numerals?
Bob

Yes, it was small numerals.
So, If I'm understanding this correctly, a .30-06 reamer was just ran into the 7.65 chamber?

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You got it!!!

I looked at another one today in a pawn shop in Winnfield, La. It was in a beech sporter stock w/monte carlo cheekpiece. The "30'06 Cal." was stamped on the front ring of the receiver; most I've seen in the past were stamped on the barrel, just ahead of the front ring, on the left side.

The military sights were still on the barrel.

Most of the crest was scrubbed; otherwise the EXTERIOR of the action looked new.

>>>>The feed ramp had been shortened by about 1/8", as the mag. box had been extended to the front!!!!<<<<

This is the first time I had seen one so modified!!!

Bob

[ 05-28-2003, 04:07: Message edited by: B Stephenson ]

Posts: 120 | Location: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote