New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to drill out the
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If your AR`15 pistol grip screw hole does not go all the way thru on an Anderson receiver
"What is the easiest way to drill this hole into the trigger chamber with out screwing up the threads?"

Thanks, Jim

I did a polish job but I am still not happy with the trigger on my Palmetto State Armory build.

Yet to adjust the springs and have a trigger guage on the way to see what it breaks and my Daughter inlaw's Rem 270 which also needs to be adjusted. (no creep but breaks really heavy.)

Trigger pull gauge will be in tomorrow to get a base line.

Or do you look at a polish and JP spring kit as a alternative for a lite weight trigger on the AR?

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't do it. Get a decent trigger. Trying to work over the original military style single stage trigger will result in a poor trigger at best, and more likely an unsafe and unreliable one. You can get a decent two stage trigger for less than you are going to spend on springs, drills, taps, and time.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes what he said. It is hard to get the trigger pull you want with a military set up.
Why do you need that hole deeper? If you do, you use the 1/4 inch tap drill, and finish tapping it. I think it is #3 or 4. Your screw should be 1/4x28.
Best in a drill or mill. You won't hurt the threads.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The extra long screw through the grip trick isn't "all that"

Buy a good trigger and be done

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The advice from gasgunner and Ted should be listened to.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geiselle SSA-E triggers are around $220.00 on sale. Get one at Easter.

Trigger Tech makes a very good cassette trigger.

For cheaper go with Timney, or just choose your favorite color cassette.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTx:
If your AR`15 pistol grip screw hole does not go all the way thru on an Anderson receiver
"What is the easiest way to drill this hole into the trigger chamber with out screwing up the threads?"

Thanks, Jim

I did a polish job but I am still not happy with the trigger on my Palmetto State Armory build.

Yet to adjust the springs and have a trigger guage on the way to see what it breaks and my Daughter inlaw's Rem 270 which also needs to be adjusted. (no creep but breaks really heavy.)

Trigger pull gauge will be in tomorrow to get a base line.

Or do you look at a polish and JP spring kit as a alternative for a lite weight trigger on the AR?

These guys are giving you great advice!
You can make a very nice factory Mill. Spec. AR
trigger & the initial take up screw (set screw in grip bore) is part of it. But the rest is $500.00 in stoning jig, adapters, & stones, A cut away dummy lower/test jig, lots of hours of free time & you will Fubar 2 or three before you get it right. Far cheaper & money / time ahead to purchase a drop in & go shoot!!
YMMV. Wink tu2

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote