THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

any reason a Browning BOSS can't be transferred?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am just dreaming up a long ringe big game rifle in .300RUM.

I have a BAR in .300WM with the BOSS system brake and was wondering if it would be possible to mount on another barrel.

As long as you can get the threading onto it there shouldn't be any problems, right?

...Or is there something I don't know about the Browning brake?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know why it wouldn't work, after all it's only a weight. For awhile there were a few BOSS type gagets you could buy that clamped on the barrels, I'm sure a good machinest could remount a BOSS on any barrel.
Out of my 9 center fire rifles only one has a BOSS (7mm-08). It's my most accurate rifle.
My other rifles have increased their accuracy with lots of reloading experimenting. I don't think I'd buy another BOSS, but I'm sure not getting rid of the one I have.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JB,
I that rifle with the boss, so it would save be buying another brake in the eventuallyty that I get this rifle together.

I don't believe that a semi auto .300WM has enough recoil to really need a brake, it's more of a drive shoot rifle...

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS,

You might wish to check what other modifications you need do to make it all work, as the 300 Winchester is shorter than the 300 RUM.

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Express,

Sure, you can transfer it to any barrel you would like provided the bullet will clear and that the barrel is threaded parallel with the bore. I once had a customer so cheap that he threaded the end of his barrel and installed a big nut on the end which he would move up and down the barrel until he found the "sweet spot" for the load he was playing with. It looked like crap but it accomplished a similar result as the BOSS, but without the holes and added noise.
[Roll Eyes]

Malm