New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 100 in .308
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A local dealer has offered me a very clean Winchester 100 in .308 for $250.00. I seem to recall reading somewhere about a gas metering problem with this rifle. The backs of the cases were torn off during extraction. Does anyone have any experience with this rifle/caliber combination? What kind of accuracy can I expect with taylored handloads?

Posts: 101 | Location: Reedley California | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Never heard of many problems with the gas system except rust if not maintained properly. Ask the dealer if it has the newer style firing pin. His gunsmith should be able to tell easily. There was a recall many years ago for this problem. They still offer a replacement firing pin. Your dealer or his gunsmith should know about this. The biggest problems with the Mod. 100 is the non availability of replacement parts if needed.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My father hunted with a Win Mod 100 in 308WCF. He did not shoot the rifle a great deal but hunted with it for several years. He never had any problems with it.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one in .243. It would empty the magazine just about every time I shot it. I sent it to Winchester and that cured the problem. I worked on one for a friend (took it apart and cleaned it very well. They have a lot of parts). It still would not eject and would screw up the case heads. Didn't tear them off. I think this was a rough chamber, but I guess it could be timing. It was several years ago and I can't remember all the details.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've worked with three or four of them in both .308 and .284.

The firing pin fix is probably still available from Winchester, but as I recall, the original firing pin, if unabused by dry firing and used only for hunting, would likely last a lifetime. If you are reasonably mechanically adept, the improved firing pin can be self-installed. (But that gun is a Chinese finger-puzzle to get out of the stock!)

All of the 100's I've worked with were dependable in function and surprisingly accurate. I think $250 is a bargain provided its general condition is acceptable. I'm assuming that it is the post-64 (basketweave checkering) standard model. A pre-64 (conventional cut checkering) or post-64 carbine would be worth somewhat more.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Mike---

Nine times out of ten if the rims are torn it means some idiot opened up the gas bleed hole.

I don't buy any auto that has scarce and expensive parts to it. Too many are screwed up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had dozens of them I just love the fit and feel BUT every one had some kind of problem, poor accuracy,auto fire, firing pin, bedding You name it ! I used to sell them new (1961) for 139.50 at Central hardware in St. Louis. and recently ,last summer, bought 6, one showed great promise and I went whole hog for a complete custom job still had problems. So I sold ,Traded and even gave away some to friends. Ended up with a BAR but they are heavy ! I still like the fit and fell of a 100 and will probably try again in a few years, parts are available for an outfit in Canada and one in Missouri.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May I recommend an M1A?

The mid-level version runs about $1400 and for another $100 you can have a good scope mount.

Clips are $50.

The advantage of an M1A over a Model 100 or a Remington 742 is that the M1A will work.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote