Fabricating ramped front sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd really appreciate that!

One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
Well, I've slept on it for a few days now...probably longer than I should have. I accidentally turned off the power to my DRO and lost all my numbers. Almost lost my mind as well nilly Fortunately, I think my x- and z-axises were set to zero so I really only lost the y position. I'll be a lot more careful when I start chippin' away on the real ones this weekend.

I re-cut the serrations to .08" deep (I think) and extended the most lateral cuts in order to create a border. I stopped at the same height as the middle serration but may carry it all the way to the top on the final product. I'd sure like some input on this design change as I'm still undecided.

I also extended the bottom of the serrations, but after looking at half of the rows I believe I might have gone too far. I backed it off and cut the other row a little shorter. In hindsight, it really doesn't matter because I can always trim down the end of the ramp for aesthetics as a final operation.

One thing I noticed but may be hard to tell in the photos is that there is a slight depression in the serrations where I started each cut. I believe this is due to the engagement of my power feed. I didn't lock down my y-axis and I think the sudden movement of the table caused the cutter to dig into the surface, leaving a "divot". I'll make sure I don't do that again!

Finally, the Williams sight pusher arrived from Brownells today and I couldn't wait to try out that tool. I love to make my own fixtures but I'm a little short on time and this tool was well worth the money. I inserted a factory Ruger 10/22 sight in one of the "production" bases and it slid in with ease. I started it from the left side, and as Westpac had described in another thread, the "flare" I created with the dovetail cutter is undetectable.

I'm now going to send this piece off to my engraver and see what he thinks about adding a perpendicular boarder at the base of the serrations. I may add a matching boarder at the top as well but I don't want to take away from the "diamond" shape on top. Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-- ale

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd much prefer a diamond-checked or sand-blasted finish on the ramp.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aleaddict

Some very nice machine work indeed.

I noticed on another website that we may have a mutual aquaintance, Hiram Abif.

beer

Craftsman

Posts: 1534 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:
I noticed on another website that we may have a mutual acquaintance, Hiram Abif.

Howdy, Brother. I have indeed been known to do a bit of travailing...

Back to the project... I talked to my engraver and he does not have any 60* line tools. Rather than waste his talent on cutting serrations, I decided instead to carry the boarder on both sides and create a double-diamond for the middle pattern. After a little work with the rotary sander, everything slipped into place nice and snug.

I still need to radius the back of the sight but I'm undecided on what insert to use. I saw a nice set of LPA inserts at the SHOT Show last month but there is only one US distributer and they don't seem to respond to email or voice messages. Anyway, I'll probably cut this radius with the inserts in place in order to carry the flow from the back.

Next up will be a pair of matching quarter ribs Smiler

-- ale

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did a great job Brian. Anxious to see your quarter rib.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Those look great! I really like the "preceived" border in those ramps of yours rather than an actual cut border. Good job!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
Thanks Westpac. I couldn't have done it without your help.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
These are really looking nice. I'd be nervous everytime I made a cut on them. I think the front edge (ahead of the blade) could use a concave cut to soften that sharp 90 degree angle - if this description makes any sense.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
Forrest --

I can assure you that I was focused like a laser beam when I was making those cuts. I even locked the door to my garage so as not to be disturbed.

I still have a little "softening" to do along the edges but will wait until I decide on what insert to use. The base of the insert will determine how I dress this area.

-- ale

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aleaddict.

Nice work there on the ramps.

In production of these types of band ramps we us a straight reamed hole as the center hole in a rectangle block of steel. That way we can do all the cuts to make it look like a band ramp and then the next to last cut is the rotary table to finish the band. The last cut is on the lathe to bore the tapered hole for the barrel.

I use 1 1/8" x 1 1/2" 12L14 steel for them.

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1441 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote