THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Altering Mauser 98 cocking piece to clear stock...

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Altering Mauser 98 cocking piece to clear stock...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinking of cutting the back of the bottom part of the cocking piece at a 45 degree bevel so it will clear the front of the comb of my stock. It is an express style stock, and looks great as is -- I don't want to modify it. As it is now, the cocking piece just grazes it.

I don't think the back of the cocking piece has any specific purpose -- will I affect anything adversely by doing this, other than lightening the cocking piece and therefore firing pin impact by a trivial amount?

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<jim k>
posted
I've cut all of mine off (to the notch)with no ill effects.
Jim

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Todd if you absolutely do not want to work on the comb ( which sounds to me like it is too high & or too far forward especially for Iron sights if the cocking piece makes contact with it ) Have your gunsmith turn just enough 45 degree bevel on the end of the cocking piece to just clear the comb. If you grind the end off of the cocking piece you loose some of the purchase with the firing pin & the fit can end up sloppy & affect the sear engaugement. My advice is to adjust the comb.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not cut off the cocking piece, thats shoddy workmanship, kinda buying a new battery because your generator is kapute..

Your comb is too far forward makeing the grip to short on top..It is a simple matter to set it back 1/2" and match the finish...Done properly you would never know it had been fixed....

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote