Find
Notify
Tools

H&R Rear Sight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gang,

Brainstorming time: I have an H&R Model 999 which had its missing rear sight replaced. I had received the replacement from Numrich. Naturally, since the age of the unit is the driver, it will be virtually impossible to obtain the exact replacement part (without exact specs or actual availability).

The one I have received is almost "good-to-go". At this moment in time, the rear sight blade which fits into its receptacle (which is actually the Barrel Catch) is affixing itself in the downward-most position due to its wedge-shaped configuration (or more accurately, an upside down 'v' shape) that is secured by screws on either side to incorporate a windage adjustment factor. Unfortunately, I am unable to achieve an UP or DOWN adjustment because of that constraint in design. (Reference = Key�s #40 & #2 on ppg 227 of Cat. #24)

As a result, it extended below the curvature of the receptacle (which is also the release to break the unit in two to eject spent cases) and thusly interferes (or obstructs) with the hammer's range of motion.

Condition one: when hammer is pulled back, the top of the hammer moves the Barrel Catch up and then it moves back into its rest or locking position once the hammer clears its curved configuration.

Condition two: upon firing the unit, the hammer slams up against the rear sight blade, moves the barrel catch up out of its way until it engages fully, and at the same time it clears its obstruction the Barrel Catch once again returns to its rest or locking position.

Naturally, it would be easy to grind away the amount of obstruction, but because of the thinness of the sight's blade, I am concerned that it might loose its required rigidity to keep it secured. A user is likely to make windage adjustments and therefore possibly bend or distort the blade together thus forming another upside-down 'V' and at the same time separate the sights box shape by adding additional distance between it and potentially loosing the ability to properly sight the firearm during normal operations.

Question: what approach would you use to correct the anomaly (as I can only think of the following methods)?

(a) Grind away required amount of curvature at the bottom of the blade to prevent its obstructive property

(b) Grind away each side to permit an elevated seating

(c) Grind into each side a notch perpendicular to the set screw accommodating an up/down adjustment as well as windage.

Which of the above would you use as an approach?

Moreover, are there any other approaches that I might have missed? TIA!

[ 01-03-2003, 19:17: Message edited by: Alex Szabo ]

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alex,I don't have any idea on your problem with the hammer,but I own 3, 999's the up and down as you say is controled buy the front sight screw in the front of the base.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Alex,

The sight blade I am looking at in the Jack First catalog shows the bottom legs bowed to clear the hammer regardless of position.

Call Jack First at (605)343-9544 and tell them what you got and see if they have what you need.

Malm