New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BAR in .458 win mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know there was some discussion in the past about converting a browning BAR from 338 to 458 win mag. does anyone know of a gunsmith who would do the work,.and is it safe.

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 478 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The only magazine article I saw on the conversion was in the early 80's and written by Jack Lott. Jack's not with us anymore--- so I would not have a clue. I do remember he said it was very difficult to regulate the gas system in the article. If I remeber correctly it was published in guns and ammo.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ive looked into converting 1 to a .416 taylor... none of the major barrel makers (that normally offer chambering and barreling services) would do 1... most declined because of the way the barrel is attached to the receiver...if you look in a brownell's catalogue, there's several different components for the gas system available....and i'm sure it could/would be worked out...i'd still do a .416 taylor... i like the cartridge....there is a place that does .458 win mag conversions of a garand.....google it...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 458 should be safe, if you can get it to feed.

The regulator is just a 9/16-24 ultra fine thread bolt with a hole in
it. If FALs have adjustable by pass gas, BARs have fixed jets.

a) 7mm Mag is .066" hole
b) 300 Mag is .077" hole [p/n B3176146]
c) 338 Mag is .059" hole
d) My home made is .078" hole

If the gun jams, the hole is too big.
If the bolt slams the frame and the empty cases fly too far, the by pass gas hole is too small.

As the gun should be tuned up to not jam with the wimpiest expected ammo, then the hottest ammo will eject a little harder. The extra energy is partially absorbed by the buffer:
recoil buffer [p/n B3176065]

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I remember reading an article in Gun Digest on converting the BAR to .458. I think it was from the early '80s. There was another article in either Gun Digest or Guns Illustrated in the '90s on converting the BAR to .416 Taylor.

I think the Gun Digest Treasury contains an index by subject and author.

Stryker60

Posts: 45 | Location: Biloxi, MS | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I found this on another forum from last year:

"Cy from Cy's Sporting Goods on Kodiak had a BAR chambered in .458 WM"

Cy's Sporting Goods:

http://www.kodiak-outfitters.com/

Stryker60

Posts: 45 | Location: Biloxi, MS | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote