Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with the extra '06?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Fellow addicts,

I've been considering my current collection -- maybe "accumulation" would be a better word.

I have a Mauser-actioned .270 that's very accurate, which I'm putting in a light fiberglass stock to carry up large mountains...

A matte/synthetic Beretta Mato in .338 WM, with which I could hunt about anything in North America.

A .375 H&H Interarms Whitworth to take to Africa some day ...

A Mexican Mauser in 7mm-08 that I'm restocking, but which may end up as a gift for someone special ...

A pre-war Model 70 .30-06 that I don't shoot much because the steel buttplate hurts -- I've decided to restock it with something in semi-fancy English walnut, straighter and padded, hunt with it, and save the original stock for my heirs ...

A Mexican Mauser in 7mm-08 that I'm restocking, but which may end up as a gift for someone special ...

And another .30-06, Interarms Mark X in a Bell & Carlson stock, that is finicky about ammo and really kind of duplicates several others without being as lightweight or accurate as any of them.

I could sell it for maybe $400 if I got really lucky, or I could spend a similar amount and rebarrel it ... what would you do? And if you'd go for rebarreling -- to what caliber?

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd build a .25-06 (actually, that is what I did with one of my 'spare' .30-06s; the other was rebored to .358 for use as a Whelen).

Great gun for coyotes, woodchucks, and white-tails.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
338-06 or 35 Whelen--unless you like controversy. In that case .411 Hawk! (this would actually be my choice!) [Wink]

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you could turn it into a 9.3x62, everyone here is raving about this calibre's performance on game.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
It seems you have the heavy end of the calibers covered, I'd second GeorgeS's suggestion of a 25-06 and get something that shoots smaller bullets. If you go bigger you'd have to do something that your 338 or 375 can't do, and for that you'd probably want a different action.

25-06 is an awesome coyote caliber, works well on deer too I've heard (never shot one myself but how they flatten coyotes I wouldn't hesitate to use one if that is what I had). Plus you need a varminter for prarie dogs and it works for that too. By staying with the same parent case all you should really need is a new barrel.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go lighter, how about considering the 240 Hawk? 80 grain 6mm just over 4,000 fps. Me? I'd go with the 411 Hawk.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frazer:
Fellow addicts,

I've been considering my current collection -- maybe "accumulation" would be a better word.

I have a Mauser-actioned .270 that's very accurate, which I'm putting in a light fiberglass stock to carry up large mountains...

A matte/synthetic Beretta Mato in .338 WM, with which I could hunt about anything in North America.

A .375 H&H Interarms Whitworth to take to Africa some day ...

A pre-war Model 70 .30-06 that I don't shoot much because the steel buttplate hurts -- I've decided to restock it with something in semi-fancy English walnut, straighter and padded, hunt with it, and save the original stock for my heirs ...

And another .30-06, Interarms Mark X in a Bell & Carlson stock, that is finicky about ammo and really kind of duplicates several others without being as lightweight or accurate as any of them.

I could sell it for maybe $400 if I got really lucky, or I could spend a similar amount and rebarrel it ... what would you do? And if you'd go for rebarreling -- to what caliber?

I have to vote for the .458 win. mag! or .300 WM

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need a 220 Howell with a 26" fast twist (1-8") barrel...this will be something you can shoot and enjoy and you will be amazed at the performance of a long, heavy .22 bullet when driven at 3700 fps.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
416 taylor....

hey, if you mexican has a 36 bolt, you can just sell it to me, and save yourself the trouble of restocking <grin>
jeffe

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote