Tools

How to reassemble a Rem700 bolt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone who can give me some pointers??

I think it needs to be cleaned.

[ 01-13-2003, 18:27: Message edited by: Magnar ]

Posts: 172 | Location: Hadeland, NORWAY | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
To take it apart remove the bolt from the receiver and hook the cocking piece on a ledge and pull back on it far enough to stick a thin coin in the slot on the side of the cocking piece, then let it down gently. The coin will keep the cocking piece back enough to simply unscrew the shroud from the bolt.

DON'T take it apart any further unless you have the fixture that holds the parts together so you can re-insert the pin.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JBelk.

So what you say is if I take it further apart, I will have problems putting it back together?
What is this fixture you mentioned?

Posts: 172 | Location: Hadeland, NORWAY | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Magnar, I think what Jack is saying is "you'll shoot your eye out" (with the firing pin spring). You need a special firing pin spring fixture to keep the spring retained during assembly/disassembly of the firing pin/spring/shroud assembly, after you remove it from the bolt. Sinclair International ( www.sinclairintl.com ) sells them.

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
Years ago I made a fixture using a piece of 4 7/8" long, 1/2" key stock with nuts welded at each end. Counterbore the 1/2" bolt that screws in one end for the firing pin to fit in. See if you can see a photo of a manufactured one. Not too hard to make.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I should add that disassembling the firing pin/shroud assembly is generally not done except to replace parts, and should not be necessary for general cleaning and inspection.

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote