New
Find
Notify
Tools

rem 700 270 win to 338 ultra
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a rem 700 270 win and want to turn it into a 338 ultra. Will a 338 ultra fit or is the action not big enough? I think the length is going to be the tight area. All I should have to do is open bolt face and replace extractor, chamber new barrel, and open feed lips right. Did I miss anything?

thanks
skog

Posts: 55 | Location: OKC | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skog:
I have a rem 700 270 win and want to turn it into a 338 ultra. Will a 338 ultra fit or is the action not big enough? I think the length is going to be the tight area. All I should have to do is open bolt face and replace extractor, chamber new barrel, and open feed lips right. Did I miss anything?

thanks
skog

I just did a .375 Ultra conversion on a 30-06 Rem 700 action. True action, open the bolt face, Sako extractor, and new Ultra mag box with windows. Don't touch the feed rails!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you have to change the mag box? What is the purpose of the windows with an internal box mag? Thanks for the heads up on the feed rails. I was going to check feeding first before I touched them but it is nice to know that it will work without touching them.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Yes the new magazine box for the Ultra mag round has windows cut in it for the cartridges broad shoulders.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you just use a factory remington mag box or an aftermarket one? Did you also use an Ultra follower? Is there one mag box for all the ultras or is there different ones for different calibers? Brownells just list one for 300 ultra.

skog

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Here is one magazine box. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.as...XTENDED+MAGAZINE+BOX

This item #100-000-148 and Ultra mag follower.

Do buy it just yet. Let me check a couple more options first. I will PM you with what I find.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
anybody else?

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
anybody else?

What more is there?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just curious with other people experiences. I am getting ready to order parts and was wondering what other people used. Right now I am leaning to a #3 1:10 shilen chrome moly, knoxx stock with pillars, Williams firearms steel bdl bottom metal, tubb sako style 404 jeffery extractor, wyatts windowed mag box, factory bdl mag spring and a callahan .200 recoil lug. Anybody have any advise on other parts if you have had bad experiences with these.

westpac:
When you used wyatts mag box did you have to mill the reciever or shorten bolt stop? On his web sight it says you have to. I dont have my action here yet so I can look at it so see if it will fit.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
westpac:
When you used wyatts mag box did you have to mill the reciever or shorten bolt stop? On his web sight it says you have to. I dont have my action here yet so I can look at it so see if it will fit.

Like I said in my PM, I never use the Wyatts, I used the factory 300 Ultra Mag box which by all the cartridge data I've seen on the 338 Ultra Mag, should work fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
all right. sorry I thought you used wyatts. I guess I just cant read. The 338 RUM and the 300 RUM have the same OAL so it should work.

thanks
skog

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I think the Wyatt box would come in handy if you wanted to load and shoot the long 300 grain Match Kings.